• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Plesk 12.5MU3 Creating CNAME throwing error

bsass

Basic Pleskian
I'm trying to create a CNAME record that I used to do all the time in 9.5.4 and then last week we upgraded to 12.5. When trying to create a CNAME record of bob.domain.com that points to page.domain.com it throw an error of:

Incorrect combination of DNS records is present in the DNS zone

That's using both the CLI and also the web interface.

I was reading about CNAME causing loops and not being allow but I don't think this is the case, here is how the record flow is and works still but can't add anything new:

bob.domain.com points to CNAME pages.domain.com which points to CNAME pages.3rdpartyhosting.com

Thanks for the help!

Hi bsass,

the restrictions for DNS - records are based on standards, which are clarified as for example at: RFC 2181 => https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2181
The general standards are defined at: RFC 1034 and RFC 1035 and the additional memo RFC 2181

Quoted from RFC 2181:
10.1. CNAME resource records

The DNS CNAME ("canonical name") record exists to provide the
canonical name associated with an alias name. There may be only one
such canonical name for any one alias. That name should generally be
a name that exists elsewhere in the DNS, though there are some rare
applications for aliases with the accompanying canonical name
undefined in the DNS. An alias name (label of a CNAME record) may,
if DNSSEC is in use, have SIG, NXT, and KEY RRs, but may have no
other data. That is, for any label in the DNS (any domain name)
exactly one of the following is true:
RFC 2181 Clarifications to the DNS Specification July 1997

+ one CNAME record exists, optionally accompanied by SIG, NXT, and
KEY RRs,
+ one or more records exist, none being CNAME records,
+ the name exists, but has no associated RRs of any type,
+ the name does not exist at all.

10.1.1. CNAME terminology

It has been traditional to refer to the label of a CNAME record as "a
CNAME". This is unfortunate, as "CNAME" is an abbreviation of
"canonical name", and the label of a CNAME record is most certainly
not a canonical name. It is, however, an entrenched usage. Care
must therefore be taken to be very clear whether the label, or the
value (the canonical name) of a CNAME resource record is intended.
In this document, the label of a CNAME resource record will always be
referred to as an alias.

If you need further assistance, please include the correct fully qualified domain name ( FQDN ) for investigations, please.

UFHH01. I respect every one of your replies, that I read daily, I have told you want I can. I can't give you the real responses. I can tell you that everything is my first post it right and that I under how the DNS system works.

Thanks

Back