• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 12 with Mariadb on Ubuntu 14.04

I would think that you should be able to use the manual you posted and begin where it starts with "Ubuntu"
http://devblog.plesk.com/2013/08/mariadb-installation-guide/

Important: Build a server snapshot just in case if you make a mistake
And make sure to use either the repository for MariaDB 10 or 5.5
because upgrade from version 5.5 to 10 did not work for me

I used the MariaDB version 10 and do not have any issues with Plesk 12.0.8 running on Centos version 6.6

Last edited:
Hi,

Is Plesk 12 compatible with Mariadb 5 or 10 on Ubuntu 14.04?.

Yes 5 is compatible, but yes those docs don't seem to work for Ubuntu 14, as it's met with dependency issues.

Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS MariaDB Version:
mysql Ver 15.1 Distrib 5.5.41-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.2

What errors did you get when you installed?

Once I had run the command in the docs above, I ran apt-get -f install, which added some extra packages...

Code:
 # apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
   libmariadbclient18 mariadb-client-5.5 mariadb-client-core-5.5
   mariadb-server-core-5.5
The following packages will be REMOVED
  mysql-client-5.5 mysql-client-core-5.5
The following NEW packages will be installed
  mariadb-server-core-5.5
0 to upgrade, 4 to newly install, 2 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/5,964 kB of archives.
After this operation, 7,827 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

So I assume the correct command would be...

Code:
# env DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get -o OrderList::Score::Immediate=1000 \
install libmariadbclient18 mariadb-client-5.5 mariadb-client-core-5.5 mariadb-common mariadb-server mariadb-server-5.5 mariadb-server-core-5.5

Maybe IgorG can confirm this this?
I hope that answers part of your question.

Kind regards

Lloyd

Last edited:
Yes 5 is compatible, but yes those docs don't seem to work for Ubuntu 14, as it's met with dependency issues.

Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS MariaDB Version:

What errors did you get when you installed?

Once I had run the command in the docs above, I ran apt-get -f install, which added some extra packages...

Code:
 # apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
   mariadb-server-core-5.5
The following packages will be REMOVED
  mysql-client-5.5 mysql-client-core-5.5
The following NEW packages will be installed
  mariadb-server-core-5.5
0 to upgrade, 4 to newly install, 2 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/5,964 kB of archives.
After this operation, 7,827 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

So I assume the correct command would be...

Code:
# env DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get -o OrderList::Score::Immediate=1000 \
install libmariadbclient18 mariadb-client-5.5 mariadb-client-core-5.5 mariadb-common mariadb-server mariadb-server-5.5 mariadb-server-core-5.5

Maybe IgorG can confirm this this?
I hope that answers part of your question.

Kind regards

Lloyd

So i can replace the 5.5 with 10.0? will that affect my current databases which is using 10.1

Code:

Hi Kingsley,
I'm yet to try MaraDB 10/10.1 on Ubuntu 14, doing a quick
Code:
# apt-cache search mariadb
libmariadbclient-dev - MariaDB database development files
libmariadbclient18 - MariaDB database client library
libmariadbd-dev - MariaDB embedded database development files
libreoffice-mysql-connector - MariaDB/MySQL Connector extension for LibreOffice
libwtdbomysql-dev - MySQL/MariaDB backend for Wt::Dbo [development]
libwtdbomysql35 - MySQL/MariaDB backend for Wt::Dbo [runtime]
mariadb-client - MariaDB database client (metapackage depending on the latest version)
mariadb-client-5.5 - MariaDB database client binaries
mariadb-client-core-5.5 - MariaDB database core client binaries
mariadb-common - MariaDB common metapackage
mariadb-server - MariaDB database server (metapackage depending on the latest version)
mariadb-server-5.5 - MariaDB database server binaries
mariadb-server-core-5.5 - MariaDB database core server files
mariadb-test - MariaDB database regression test suite (metapackage for the latest version)
mariadb-test-5.5 - MariaDB database regression test suite
sw-mariadb-client - Mariadb client library

only shows 5.5 available.
So you may have to install from mariadb's repos...

https://downloads.mariadb.org/maria...ro_release=trusty--ubuntu_trusty&version=10.1

Which I haven't tried yet.
Have a look at the notes here...

https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/upgrading-from-mariadb-55-to-mariadb-100/

I would fire up a test vps and do some testing first, if I get time over the weekend I will have a look.
In the meantime, if anyone else has any insights please post away.
Kind regards

Lloyd

Hi Kingsley,
I'm yet to try MaraDB 10/10.1 on Ubuntu 14, doing a quick
Code:
# apt-cache search mariadb
libmariadbclient-dev - MariaDB database development files
libmariadbclient18 - MariaDB database client library
libmariadbd-dev - MariaDB embedded database development files
libreoffice-mysql-connector - MariaDB/MySQL Connector extension for LibreOffice
libwtdbomysql-dev - MySQL/MariaDB backend for Wt::Dbo [development]
libwtdbomysql35 - MySQL/MariaDB backend for Wt::Dbo [runtime]
mariadb-client - MariaDB database client (metapackage depending on the latest version)
mariadb-client-5.5 - MariaDB database client binaries
mariadb-client-core-5.5 - MariaDB database core client binaries
mariadb-common - MariaDB common metapackage
mariadb-server - MariaDB database server (metapackage depending on the latest version)
mariadb-server-5.5 - MariaDB database server binaries
mariadb-server-core-5.5 - MariaDB database core server files
mariadb-test - MariaDB database regression test suite (metapackage for the latest version)
mariadb-test-5.5 - MariaDB database regression test suite
sw-mariadb-client - Mariadb client library

only shows 5.5 available.
So you may have to install from mariadb's repos...

https://downloads.mariadb.org/maria...ro_release=trusty--ubuntu_trusty&version=10.1

Which I haven't tried yet.
Have a look at the notes here...

https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/upgrading-from-mariadb-55-to-mariadb-100/

I would fire up a test vps and do some testing first, if I get time over the weekend I will have a look.
In the meantime, if anyone else has any insights please post away.
Kind regards

Lloyd

alright will be expecting your update

Hi Kingsley,
I got round to trying this last night, as I suspected I had to install from the mariadb repo.
Code:
# apt-get install software-properties-common
# apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 0xcbcb082a1bb943db
# add-apt-repository 'deb [arch=amd64,i386] http://mirrors.coreix.net/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu trusty main'
# apt-get update

then I ran the modified command...
Code:
install libmariadbclient18 mariadb-client-10.1 mariadb-client-core-10.1 mariadb-common mariadb-server mariadb-server-10.1 mariadb-server-core-10.1

But had some issues, the first one, was fixed with...
Code:
# dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/mariadb-server-10.1_10.1.11+maria-1~trusty_amd64.deb

Then..
Code:
# dpkg --configure -a

And finally...
Code:
# apt-get install -f

After that all was well...
Code:
# mysql -V
mysql  Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.1.11-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.2

This was an in place upgrade from MySQL straight to 10.1, I haven't had any issues with Plesk.
Obviously you install at your own risk.
I hope that helps

Kind regards

Lloyd

NOTE: If asked to enter MySQL Password, you can leave blank and the old one will be used.

Hi Kingsley,
I got round to trying this last night, as I suspected I had to install from the mariadb repo.
Code:
# apt-get install software-properties-common
# apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 0xcbcb082a1bb943db
# add-apt-repository 'deb [arch=amd64,i386] http://mirrors.coreix.net/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu trusty main'
# apt-get update

then I ran the modified command...
Code:
install libmariadbclient18 mariadb-client-10.1 mariadb-client-core-10.1 mariadb-common mariadb-server mariadb-server-10.1 mariadb-server-core-10.1

But had some issues, the first one, was fixed with...
Code:
# dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/mariadb-server-10.1_10.1.11+maria-1~trusty_amd64.deb

Then..
Code:
# dpkg --configure -a

And finally...
Code:
# apt-get install -f

After that all was well...
Code:
# mysql -V
mysql  Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.1.11-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.2

This was an in place upgrade from MySQL straight to 10.1, I haven't had any issues with Plesk.
Obviously you install at your own risk.
I hope that helps

Kind regards

Lloyd

NOTE: If asked to enter MySQL Password, you can leave blank and the old one will be used.

So you installed Plesk first before this?

Did you try to reboot the server?

When i tried

dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/mariadb-server-10.1_10.1.11+maria-1~trusty_amd64.deb

i was asked for password, from there it never worked, as the following commands were popping up errors

Hi Kingslay,
sorry been out on a job all afternoon....

1. Yes I did this after installing Plesk, and yeah I rebooted a few times, no problems.

2. Did you leave the password field blank?

Like I say, I've been out all afternoon and need something to eat, I'll be back online later.
Kind regards

Lloyd

Hi Kingslay,
sorry been out on a job all afternoon....

1. Yes I did this after installing Plesk, and yeah I rebooted a few times, no problems.

2. Did you leave the password field blank?

Like I say, I've been out all afternoon and need something to eat, I'll be back online later.
Kind regards

Lloyd

I tried with blank password after it finished installing the following command wont work

# dpkg --configure -a

# apt-get install -f

Might just use CENTOS7 since it can work well except the update is available notification i see there..... then wait for what Ubuntu 16 + plesk has to offer......

The errors

Code:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mariadb-server-10.1:
mariadb-server-10.1 depends on galera-3 (>= 25.3); however:
  Package galera-3 is not configured yet.
mariadb-server-10.1 depends on iproute; however:
  Package iproute is not configured yet.
mariadb-server-10.1 depends on mariadb-client-10.1 (>= 10.1.11+maria-1~trusty);                                                                                         however:
  Package mariadb-client-10.1 is not installed.
mariadb-server-10.1 depends on mariadb-server-core-10.1 (>= 10.1.11+maria-1~tru                                                                                        sty); however:
  Package mariadb-server-core-10.1 is not installed.
mariadb-server-10.1 depends on libjemalloc1 (>= 2.1.1); however:
  Package libjemalloc1 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package mariadb-server-10.1 (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
mariadb-server-10.1

Code:
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
Get:1 http://mirrors.digitalocean.com/ubuntu/ trusty-updates/main iproute all 1:                                                                                        3.12.0-2ubuntu1 [2,392 B]
Get:2 http://mirrors.coreix.net/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu/ trusty/main mariadb-co                                                                                        mmon all 10.1.11+maria-1~trusty [3,208 B]
Get:3 http://mirrors.digitalocean.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe libjemalloc1 amd64                                                                                         3.5.1-2 [76.8 kB]
Get:4 http://mirrors.coreix.net/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu/ trusty/main galera-3 a                                                                                        md64 25.3.12-trusty [6,912 kB]
Get:5 http://mirrors.coreix.net/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu/ trusty/main mariadb-se                                                                                        rver-10.1 amd64 10.1.11+maria-1~trusty [6,169 kB]
Get:6 http://mirrors.coreix.net/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu/ trusty/main libmysqlcl                                                                                        ient18 amd64 10.1.11+maria-1~trusty [2,894 B]
Get:7 http://mirrors.coreix.net/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu/ trusty/main libmariadb                                                                                        client18 amd64 10.1.11+maria-1~trusty [573 kB]
Get:8 http://mirrors.coreix.net/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu/ trusty/main mariadb-cl                                                                                        ient-core-10.1 amd64 10.1.11+maria-1~trusty [679 kB]
Get:9 http://mirrors.coreix.net/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu/ trusty/main mariadb-cl                                                                                        ient-10.1 amd64 10.1.11+maria-1~trusty [1,048 kB]
Get:10 http://mirrors.coreix.net/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu/ trusty/main mariadb-s                                                                                        erver-core-10.1 amd64 10.1.11+maria-1~trusty [4,443 kB]
Get:11 http://mirrors.coreix.net/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu/ trusty/main mariadb-s                                                                                        erver all 10.1.11+maria-1~trusty [2,928 B]
Fetched 19.9 MB in 29s (681 kB/s)
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously unselected package mariadb-common.
(Reading database ... 162808 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../mariadb-common_10.1.11+maria-1~trusty_all.deb ...
Unpacking mariadb-common (10.1.11+maria-1~trusty) ...
Selecting previously unselected package galera-3.
Preparing to unpack .../galera-3_25.3.12-trusty_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking galera-3 (25.3.12-trusty) ...
Selecting previously unselected package iproute.
Preparing to unpack .../iproute_1%3a3.12.0-2ubuntu1_all.deb ...
Unpacking iproute (1:3.12.0-2ubuntu1) ...
(Reading database ... 162822 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing mysql-server (5.5.47-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) ...
dpkg: mysql-server-5.5: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you requeste                                                                                        d:
plesk-mysql-server depends on mysql-server | virtual-mysql-server; however:
  Package mysql-server is not installed.
  Package virtual-mysql-server is not installed.
  Package mysql-server-5.5 which provides virtual-mysql-server is to be removed.

Removing mysql-server-5.5 (5.5.47-0ubuntu0.14.04.1) ...
Setting up mariadb-common (10.1.11+maria-1~trusty) ...
Selecting previously unselected package mariadb-server-10.1.
(Reading database ... 162745 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../mariadb-server-10.1_10.1.11+maria-1~trusty_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking mariadb-server-10.1 (10.1.11+maria-1~trusty) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/mariadb-server-10.1_10.1.                                                                                        11+maria-1~trusty_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/mysql/mysql_system_tables.sql', which is also i                                                                                        n package mysql-server-core-5.5 5.5.47-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
/var/cache/apt/archives/mariadb-server-10.1_10.1.11+maria-1~trusty_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
root@plesk:~# dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/mariadb-server-1                                                                                        0.1_10.1.11+maria-1~trusty_amd64.deb
(Reading database ... 162745 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../mariadb-server-10.1_10.1.11+maria-1~trusty_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking mariadb-server-10.1 (10.1.11+maria-1~trusty) ...
dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/mysql/mysql_system_tables.sql', w                                                                                        hich is also in package mysql-server-core-5.5 5.5.47-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/mysql/fill_help_tables.sql', whic                                                                                        h is also in package mysql-server-core-5.5 5.5.47-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/mysql/mysql_system_tables_data.sq                                                                                        l', which is also in package mysql-server-core-5.5 5.5.47-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/man/man1/mysql_upgrade.1.gz', whi                                                                                        ch is also in package mysql-server-core-5.5 5.5.47-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/man/man1/mysql_install_db.1.gz',                                                                                         which is also in package mysql-server-core-5.5 5.5.47-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/man/man1/my_print_defaults.1.gz',                                                                                         which is also in package mysql-server-core-5.5 5.5.47-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/man/man1/myisam_ftdump.1.gz', whi                                                                                        ch is also in package mysql-client-5.5 5.5.47-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/myisam_ftdump', which is also in pa                                                                                        ckage mysql-client-5.5 5.5.47-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/mysql_upgrade', which is also in pa                                                                                        ckage mysql-server-core-5.5 5.5.47-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/mysql_install_db', which is also in                                                                                         package mysql-server-core-5.5 5.5.47-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/my_print_defaults', which is also i                                                                                        n package mysql-server-core-5.5 5.5.47-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
dpkg: warning: trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/mysql_plugin', which is also in pac                                                                                        kage mysql-client-5.5 5.5.47-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mariadb-server-10.1:
mariadb-server-10.1 depends on galera-3 (>= 25.3); however:
  Package galera-3 is not configured yet.
mariadb-server-10.1 depends on iproute; however:
  Package iproute is not configured yet.
mariadb-server-10.1 depends on mariadb-client-10.1 (>= 10.1.11+maria-1~trusty);                                                                                         however:
  Package mariadb-client-10.1 is not installed.
mariadb-server-10.1 depends on mariadb-server-core-10.1 (>= 10.1.11+maria-1~tru                                                                                        sty); however:
  Package mariadb-server-core-10.1 is not installed.
mariadb-server-10.1 depends on libjemalloc1 (>= 2.1.1); however:
  Package libjemalloc1 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package mariadb-server-10.1 (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ...

Hi mate,
I have attached my install log, so you can see exactly what I did and when.
Hope it helps
Kind regards

Lloyd

Attachments

• My Install Log.txt
    13.3 KB · Views: 28
Hi mate,
I have attached my install log, so you can see exactly what I did and when.
Hope it helps
Kind regards

Lloyd

Alright, finally i think i got it working, thanks for your help...... few questions please.

1. At the end i was ask for password which i left blank, so what is the password now?

2. Is this going to brake anything in the next plesk update?

Right I just upgraded my live personal server from MariaDB 5.5 to 10.1, after adding the MariaDB repos, I ran this command..

Code:
env DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get -o OrderList::Score::Immediate=1000 \
install libjemalloc1 galera-3 libmariadbclient18 mariadb-common mariadb-client-core-10.1 mariadb-client-10.1 mariadb-server mariadb-server-core-10.1 mariadb-server-10.1

But still got the same error...
/var/cache/apt/archives/mariadb-server-10.1_10.1.11+maria-1~trusty_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

So went through the same procedure I used in my previous post to fix it.
Anyway, I hope my notes help a bit.
Kind regards

Lloyd

Alright, finally i think i got it working, thanks for your help...... few questions please.

1. At the end i was ask for password which i left blank, so what is the password now?

2. Is this going to brake anything in the next plesk update?

Excellent mate!
1. The password is the MySQL root password, which is the same as the Plesk admin password (I believe)
2. No, I haven't had any issues running MariaDB in the last year with Plesk.

Glad to hear you got it all working
Kind regards

Lloyd

Back