• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Upgrade Mariadb 10.5 via plesk on ubuntu 18.04

stefan-franz

Basic Pleskian
Username: stefan-franz

TITLE

Upgrad Mariadb 10.5 via plesk on ubuntu 18.04

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Betriebssystem: Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS
Produkt: Plesk Obsidian 18.0.35 Update #2,

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

I use only Nextcloud on a V40-Server at strato.de and Nextcloud comes with a warning, that MariaDB should updated
MariaDB version "10.1.48-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.18.04.1" is used. Nextcloud 21 will no longer support this version and requires MariaDB 10.2 or higher.

A phone with an admin who makes many nextcloud installations says to me, that the only way for a stable system is, that Plesk get a option to update it. About ssh there come many other problems.

Dear Plesk Team: Would you please add a option, to make it over plesk to update the MariaDB?!

And the next error in Nextcloud were much useful, to swith it in Plesk:
No memory cache has been configured. To enhance performance, please configure a memcache, if available. Further information can be found in the documentation.

Kind regards, Stefan

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Nextcloud / Admin / Overview​

Security & setup warnings​

It's important for the security and performance of your instance that everything is configured correctly. To help you with that we are doing some automatic checks. Please see the linked documentation for more information.

There are some errors regarding your setup.

• The PHP memory limit is below the recommended value of 512MB.
  • MySQL is used as database but does not support 4-byte characters. To be able to handle 4-byte characters (like emojis) without issues in filenames or comments for example it is recommended to enable the 4-byte support in MySQL. For further details read the documentation page about this.
  • Your installation has no default phone region set. This is required to validate phone numbers in the profile settings without a country code. To allow numbers without a country code, please add "default_phone_region" with the respective ISO 3166-1 code ↗ of the region to your config file.
  • No memory cache has been configured. To enhance performance, please configure a memcache, if available. Further information can be found in the documentation.
  • Module php-imagick in this instance has no SVG support. For better compatibility it is recommended to install it.
  • MariaDB version "10.1.48-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.18.04.1" is used. Nextcloud 21 will no longer support this version and requires MariaDB 10.2 or higher.
Please double check the installation guides ↗, and check for any errors or warnings in the log.

ACTUAL RESULT

Please see above - Error warnings

EXPECTED RESULT

I woult like to adjust / install / select all in Plesk for a userfriendly (non linux expert) usage.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

I have a team of 50 salesmen/-women who search a nextcloud solution. If Plesk is more plug an play user friendly, more people will use it.

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Help with sorting out

Username: stefan-franz

TITLE

Upgrad Mariadb 10.5 via plesk on ubuntu 18.04

Wanna try this on commandline? (its based in the earlier linked post and contains "sudo apt-get install mariadb-server" that may not be needed when upgrading MariaDB 10.x to 10.5)

# Backup
MYSQL_PWD=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` mysqldump -u admin --verbose --all-databases --routines --triggers > /tmp/all-databases.sql

# Stop Services
service watchdog status
service watchdog stop
service mysql status
service mysql stop
service mariadb status
service mariadb stop

# add repo & install software
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common gnupg-curl
sudo apt-key adv --fetch-keys 'https://mariadb.org/mariadb_release_signing_key.asc'
sudo add-apt-repository 'deb [arch=amd64,arm64,ppc64el] Index of /mariadb/repo/10.5/ubuntu/ bionic main'
cp -v -a /var/lib/mysql/ /var/lib/mysql_backup
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mariadb-server
sudo service mariadb start
MYSQL_PWD=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` mysql_upgrade -uadmin
sudo service mariadb restart
plesk bin service_node --update local
plesk sbin packagemng -sdf

Keep in mind to cleanup "/var/lib/mysql_backup" after successful migration and some days/weeks of successful operation.

This isn't a bug, so it shouldn't be here. You can update your MDB to 10.5:  How to upgrade MySQL 5.5 to 5.6/5.7 or MariaDB 5.5 to 10.x on Linux?
After asking the Nextcloud developer, he says, that the MariaDB under Plesk seems different to the normal Ubuntu MariaDB - he means, my Nextcloud will not run after upgrade the MariaDB to 10.5.
Is anyone here ho made a sucessful upgrade from MariaDB 10.1 to 10.5?
Can from the Plesk Team the difference of the MariaDB (Ubuntu vs Plesk) comfirmed?

Plesk doesn't ship MariaDB, it only downloads it from the original OS vendor repo.

I followed "How to upgrade MySQL 5.5 to 5.6/5.7 or MariaDB 5.5 to 10.x on Linux?" and it worked fine.
The only problem is, that
apt list -a --upgradable shows this:
mysql-common/unbekannt,unbekannt,unbekannt 1:10.5.11+maria~focal all [aktualisierbar von: 5.8+1.0.5ubuntu2]
mysql-common/unbekannt,unbekannt,unbekannt 1:10.5.10+maria~focal all
mysql-common/unbekannt,unbekannt,unbekannt 1:10.5.9+maria~focal all
mysql-common/focal,focal,now 5.8+1.0.5ubuntu2 all [Installiert,aktualisierbar auf: 1:10.5.11+maria~focal]
How can I get rid of the ones I does not need to?

Hello everyone!

I've a customer who needs mySQL version 8 or MariaDB version 10.5
At the moment his machine runs Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.34 Update #2 with Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS and MySQL 5.7.33
We want to install a new server with Ubuntu 20.04 and the actual Plesk version.
(I saw on an article that Plesk recommends the Plesk Migrator for upgrading servers)
We want to use the Plesk migrator for the update to 20.04
With the update we want to install MariaDB 10.5

Recently I saw that with a fresh Plesk installation on Ubuntu 20.04 MariaDB comes only with version 10.3.34
Thats why I would have to update MariaDB to 10.5 manualy after a fresh installation.

My question:
Is it a good idea/safe to make a fresh installation from Plesk and upgrade MariaDB from 10.3 to 10.5?
Or are there any issues/problems which will appear with this update?
I would use this tutorial https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...5-to-5-6-5-7-or-MariaDB-5-5-to-10-x-on-Linux-
Next question:
The tutorial says that I can perform this actions on own risk. What does this mean?
What are your suggestions?

I'm very thankful for answers and stay with kind regards
Goodfred

Any alteration you do on your server is always at your own risk ;) Without knowing someone else's server configuration it is impossible to give any guarantees. But the update process for MariaDB is pretty strait forward. No need to be afraid. If you start with a new/fresh server I would however suggest you first update MariaDB (as described in the tutorial) and then install Plesk afterwards. It doesn't matter that much, but if something does go wrong with updating MariaDB then can easily start over without having waisted time installing Plesk.

We want to use the Plesk migrator for the update to 20.04
Just to clearify, the Plesk Migrator cannot be used to "update" a server, but it can be used migrate websites/accounts from one server to another server. I want to point that out in case you might got confused about what the Plesk Migrator actually does.

Lastly, your questions doesn't actually have anything to do with the original topic post. Please, in the future, open your own topic if you have specific questions.

Any alteration you do on your server is always at your own risk ;) Without knowing someone else's server configuration it is impossible to give any guarantees. But the update process for MariaDB is pretty strait forward. No need to be afraid. If you start with a new/fresh server I would however suggest you first update MariaDB (as described in the tutorial) and then install Plesk afterwards. It doesn't matter that much, but if something does go wrong with updating MariaDB then can easily start over without having waisted time installing Plesk.

Just to clearify, the Plesk Migrator cannot be used to "update" a server, but it can be used migrate websites/accounts from one server to another server. I want to point that out in case you might got confused about what the Plesk Migrator actually does.

Lastly, your questions doesn't actually have anything to do with the original topic post. Please, in the future, open your own topic if you have specific questions.

Im thankful for your answer. Is it possible to delete my post? I thought thats about the same thing - but a feature request is another thing I realised to late. :D
(but it would be very cool to click in the Plesk interface on MariaDB 10.5 and it installs it automaticly! :D)
(btw. - I've done a Plesk migration with the Plesk migrator 6 months ago (successfully!) - I hope my english is not this bad that you understand something else than I meaned! :D)
(P.S.: I would then install 1st Plesk and try it with an update for MariaDB - I've opened this for a thread in here Question - freh installation on Ubuntu 20.04 - need MariaDB Update to 10.5 (from standard 10.3) where I will give you an update if I was successfull if you want to hear it)
(P.P.S.: I think it would be not that bad if you delete my posts in this thread here!)

Back