• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 12 with Mariadb on Ubuntu 14.04

Excellent mate!
1. The password is the MySQL root password, which is the same as the Plesk admin password (I believe)
2. No, I haven't had any issues running MariaDB in the last year with Plesk.

Glad to hear you got it all working
Kind regards

Lloyd

I see the password is the same with the admin/root password (not good )..... one more question..... Can i use this step and upgrade from mysql 5.5 to mariadb 10.0? (since this is what is officially supported for now)

I see the password is the same with the admin/root password (not good )..... one more question..... Can i use this step and upgrade from mysql 5.5 to mariadb 10.0? (since this is what is officially supported for now)

Yeah, the Install Log I attached was from Ubuntu 14 default MySQL straight to MariaDB 10.1 :)

At 18 July 2016 2nd command should be
dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/mariadb-server-10.1_10.1.16+maria-1~trusty_amd64.deb

Check last digit of this phrase "10.1_10.1.16 " by visiting /var/cache/apt/archives/ or you will get an error of file not found if using command written here

Last edited:
At 18 July 2016 2nd command should be
dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/mariadb-server-10.1_10.1.16+maria-1~trusty_amd64.deb

Check last digit of this phrase "10.1_10.1.16 " by visiting /var/cache/apt/archives/ or you will get an error of file not found if using command written here

why so?

Just to let you guys know, if you do a clean install of Ubuntu 14.04 and install MariaDB prior to Plesk, they will bond together without any errors.

Just to let you guys know, if you do a clean install of Ubuntu 14.04 and install MariaDB prior to Plesk, they will bond together without any errors.

do you mean installing mariadb first then install plesk will work without issues?

@Kingsley,

Correct.

Install Ubuntu Server 14.04, update it, then proceed with
Code:
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 0xcbcb082a1bb943db
sudo add-apt-repository 'deb [arch=amd64,i386,ppc64el] http://ftp.nluug.nl/db/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu trusty main'
and install MariaDB with
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mariadb-server

After that, install Plesk as usual and it should work without problems.

If the installer asks for a password, just leave it blank (press enter), and Plesk will secure it later on.

@Kingsley,

Correct.

Install your OS, update it, then proceed with
Code:
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 0xcbcb082a1bb943db
sudo add-apt-repository 'deb [arch=amd64,i386,ppc64el] http://ftp.nluug.nl/db/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu trusty main'
and install MariaDB with
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mariadb-server

After that, install Plesk as usual and it should work without problems.

Nice, will try this with ubuntu 16 when plesk supports it.

got it with below error:

Preparing to unpack .../mariadb-server-10.1_10.1.16+maria-1~trusty_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking mariadb-server-10.1 (10.1.16+maria-1~trusty) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/mariadb-server-10.1_10.1.16+maria-1~trusty_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/mysql/mysql_system_tables.sql', which is also in package mysql-server-core-5.5 5.5.50-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/mariadb-server-10.1_10.1.16+maria-1~trusty_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Hi Kingsley,
I got round to trying this last night, as I suspected I had to install from the mariadb repo.
Code:
# apt-get install software-properties-common
# apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 0xcbcb082a1bb943db
# add-apt-repository 'deb [arch=amd64,i386] http://mirrors.coreix.net/mariadb/repo/10.1/ubuntu trusty main'
# apt-get update

then I ran the modified command...
Code:
# env DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get -o OrderList::Score::Immediate=1000 \
install libmariadbclient18 mariadb-client-10.1 mariadb-client-core-10.1 mariadb-common mariadb-server mariadb-server-10.1 mariadb-server-core-10.1

But had some issues, the first one, was fixed with...
Code:
# dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/mariadb-server-10.1_10.1.11+maria-1~trusty_amd64.deb

Then..
Code:
# dpkg --configure -a

And finally...
Code:
# apt-get install -f

After that all was well...
Code:
# mysql -V
mysql  Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.1.11-MariaDB, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 5.2

This was an in place upgrade from MySQL straight to 10.1, I haven't had any issues with Plesk.
Obviously you install at your own risk.
I hope that helps

Kind regards

Lloyd

NOTE: If asked to enter MySQL Password, you can leave blank and the old one will be used.

Just tried it on plesk onyx and it installed but am having the below error.

ERROR: Zend_Db_Adapter_Exception: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] No such file or directory

Additionally, an exception has occurred while trying to report this error: Zend_Exception
No entry is registered for key 'translate' (Abstract.php:144)

Search for related Knowledge Base articles

got it with below error:

Preparing to unpack .../mariadb-server-10.1_10.1.16+maria-1~trusty_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking mariadb-server-10.1 (10.1.16+maria-1~trusty) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/mariadb-server-10.1_10.1.16+maria-1~trusty_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/share/mysql/mysql_system_tables.sql', which is also in package mysql-server-core-5.5 5.5.50-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/mariadb-server-10.1_10.1.16+maria-1~trusty_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Did you run apt-get update after adding the .deb file?

Back