• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 8.1 failed upgrade

B

Bogdan

I have just attempted to upgrade Plesk from 7.6.1 to 8.1 on one of our servers. The upgrade finished without any problems, so I continued and installed PHP5 support my modifying the existing Plesk installation through Add/Remove programs and I also installed the latest Plesk hotfix (ftp://download1.swsoft.com/Plesk/Autoupdate/plesk_8.1.0_update061226.10.msp), again without any errors.

When I tried to log on to Plesk after all this, I had to select the default mail server (this was odd, since the other upgrades I did on other servers didn't asked for this). I picked MailEnable, and it threw this error:
Set default component failed: defpackagemng failed: mchk.exe failed with message:
Can't query select name from domain_aliases where dom_id=1 andmail='true' and status = 0: MySQLDatabaseProvider error 1054:Unknowncolumn 'mail' in 'where clause'

If I try to run mchk manually, I get this:
C:\Program Files\SWsoft\Plesk\admin\bin>mchk.exe --all --fix=all
Can't query select name from domain_aliases where dom_id=1 and mail='true' and status = 0: MySQLDatabaseProvider error 1054:Unknown column 'mail' in 'where clause'

I checked the domain_aliases table in the psa database and I got this:
mysql> describe domain_aliases;
+-------------+------------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field | Type | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+-------------+------------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| id | int(10) unsigned | | PRI | NULL | auto_increment |
| dom_id | int(10) unsigned | | MUL | 0 | |
| name | varchar(255) | | UNI | | |
| displayName | varchar(255) | | UNI | | |
| type | enum('full','web_ftp') | | | web_ftp | |
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

I also checked the same table on a server where I upgraded Plesk a few days ago without any problems and I got this:
mysql> describe domain_aliases;
+-------------+----------------------+------+-----+---------+----------------+
| Field | Type | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| id | int(10) unsigned | | PRI | NULL | auto_increment |
| dom_id | int(10) unsigned | | MUL | 0 | |
| name | varchar(255) | | UNI | | |
| displayName | varchar(255) | | UNI | | |
| dns_zone_id | int(10) unsigned | YES | | NULL | |
| status | bigint(20) unsigned | | | 0 | |
| mail | enum('true','false') | | | false | |
| web | enum('true','false') | | | false | |
8 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

It's obvious that the table structure is different and that on the problematic server the table structure for domain_aliases was not upgraded to 8.1.

I managed to get the Plesk Control Panel to work, and I also renamed all
the C:\Program Files\SWsoft\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Config\*.sav to
C:\Program Files\SWsoft\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Config\*.tab so my
clients can login to their email accounts. However, I still can't create
or manage domain aliases.

Also, I cannot manage any mail settings.

When I try to add an alias to an existing mail account:
Unable to add new mail alias: Unable to add new mail alias: mailmng
failed: MEAOPO.Mailbox.GetMailbox failed
When I try to create a new mail account:
Unable to update the mail name properties:mailmng failed:
MEAOPO.Mailbox.AddMailbox failed for name=test and domain somedomain.com
[somedomain.com]

So... what can I in this situation? Where do I find the logs for the Plesk upgrade? I'm really stuck here... and I really need URGENT help!

I've already sent a ticket to SWsoft about this, but I'm not sure how fast they'll respond to this, especially that it's Friday.

Originally posted by sshigin
bogdan, see you. it will be fixed asap.

Thanks! One of the SWsoft support engineers is already logged on the server and is attending this issue.

OK... so the SWsoft engineer that was logged on the server looked through the server's Event Logs and then disconnected. After several hours of inactivity I decided to mail them again and ask for an update and I got this:

Bogdan,

I apologize for the delay with answering you. This problem was escalated to Plesk
for Windows Maintenance Development and they are creating special utility that will
fix the problem. ETA (Esimated Time of Arrival) on when this utility will be ready
is Monday, 15th January.

Thanks.

--
Eugene Tarasov
Head of Support
SWsoft, Inc.

Ok... so what now? Am I suppose to tell my clients "hey guys, I'm sorry, but no mails until (at LEAST) Monday".

So... the current status:
1. Clients can login to Plesk and mind their business except:
- no mail management (which means no new domains, no deleting existing domains, no domain aliases)
2. Clients can login to their email accounts through pop3 (webmail works too) and they can send mail, but if anything is sent to them it bounces back when I mail [email protected]:
Message could not be delivered. Error was: The mailbox is not available on this system

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

[SF:somedomain.com/test]

Let me know when this problem is fixed, or give me a workaround so that I can carry on with adding aliases. I'm not worried about the MailEnable issue, but not being to add or edit aliases will soon become an administrative drag.

eugenevdm,

This has been fixed for my server by SWsoft, but I don't recommend contacting them, unless you're really desperate.

It took them about 16 hours to fix the database structure, but the they did a mess with the data. I had several lines missing from the 'domains', 'dns_recs', 'data_bases' and 'dns_zone' and some lines were added from a 2 week old psa backup, which screwed everything. Needless to say I had to use the psa dump form the day before the upgrade to recover lost entries and to cross-reference new ones.

I am really disappointed about SWsoft support next time this kind of problems happen, I'll try to fix them myself.

I am having the same problem. Support friggin hates me and never responds. Anyone have a clue how to fix this one?

DUKom2

I recommend you take a look at your psa's database structure and compare it the db structure of a fresh-installed server and add the missing columns. You may also need to populate a few columns with data and everything will have to be done manually.

Don't forget to take a dump of the psa before everything!

Already fixed. Seems something weirded out on the plesk update after we changed the root administrator username. I changed it back to the default "Administrator", reconfigured and it was fine. Then back to new username for security.

DUKom2

PS- also the reconfigurator messes up the ME default server name and default postmaster address. FYI just have to change it manually.

Back