• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk 9 - Server load out of control (auth.php3)

Actually its the other way around, Sw-soft bought parallels back in 2004 or 2005. They just renamed the company to parallels for marketing purposes :p

In reference to grsec, Plesk 9 needs to be able to read /proc, which is normally (and rightfully so!) restricted with grsec. I believe there are selinux policies that would do the same thing, so I would check into that for the folks that arent using grsec enabled kernels.

For the ASL folks, the 2.6.27.x kernels added in an exception to do this for you automatically. You should only have to upgrade to it, and reboot. Knock on wood the problem should go away.

I to am having to reboot almost once a day do to this problem but i am on Linux 2.6.27.4rootserver-20081028a on x86_64 CentOS Linux 5.2. If there a solution to this problem?

I to am having to reboot almost once a day do to this problem but i am on Linux 2.6.27.4rootserver-20081028a on x86_64 CentOS Linux 5.2. If there a solution to this problem?

actually my issue must be different. Didn't notice this was in 9.0 I am on 8.6 sorry

Now that I know there is a version 9 I am thinking about upgrading. Does this issue still exist in 9.0.0.2

Dear Parallels,

Is there any estimation where we can get the bugfix for this problem? Please note that ALL OVH clients running Plesk have GRSEC kernels installed by default, so ALL of them who recently upgraded to Plesk 9 will HIT the problem.
So if you don't want to loose all those clients please provide them (us) the bugfix for Grsecurity enabled kernels.
Currently we can either have Grsecurity or Plesk9, not both. :(

Now that I know there is a version 9 I am thinking about upgrading. Does this issue still exist in 9.0.0.2

Unfortunately 9.0.0.2 still has the problem.

ho can i replace the grsec provided by ovh on our hard disk of our server by this one?

Personnally, like said linus torvalds, i would prefer remove it completely...

Considering they have released 9.0.2 already i would be wondering why no release or changelog announcement for that one

I have the same Problem... The Server Crashed! All services are stopped and the SSH connection isn`t connectable...

Here the Info from Plesk Admin Login:
ERROR: PleskFatalException
Unable to connect to database: mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

0: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/common_func.php3:108
psaerror(string 'Unable to connect to database: mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)')
1: /usr/local/psa/admin/auto_prepend/auth.php3:93

Hope next update is better tahn the last... Every day i can restart my Root Server... That isn`t the best way...

http://kb.odin.com/en/815 is this the solution?

I have the same Problem... The Server Crashed! All services are stopped and the SSH connection isn`t connectable...

Here the Info from Plesk Admin Login:
ERROR: PleskFatalException
Unable to connect to database: mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

0: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/common_func.php3:108
psaerror(string 'Unable to connect to database: mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)')
1: /usr/local/psa/admin/auto_prepend/auth.php3:93

Hope next update is better tahn the last... Every day i can restart my Root Server... That isn`t the best way...
http://kb.odin.com/en/815 is this the solution?

sw-engine-cgi bringing my server down regularly

sw-enging-cgi brings overloads and crashes my Centos 5 server regularly since installation of Plesk 9.0.1.

I think Plesk should be made liable for wrecking businesses of so many people by releasing improperly tested software!

Please help by fixes, or at least workarounds...

I am extremely unsatisfied after migrating from plesk 8x to 9x and I am waiting inpatient for a patch. I have a virtual server with GoDaddy and have 13 web-sites hosted on it. Nearly every day one or two of these web-sites are suspended and can't be unsuspended by the Plesk control panel. It can happen at any time. I have written a cron job, running every 15 minutes, to detect if instead of my revenue creating web-site the default plesk page is up and go through a sequence of items including a web-service reboot. Once a week I get those web-site down notices every 15 minutes and I have to reboot the whole server. I believe the cause of the problems is the faulty backup manger implementation in 9x can't be sure. 8x was working so perfectly not a hick-up at all and I am told I can not go back without completely reposition the server. Even GoDaddy does not support 9x. Why do I get an automatic upgrade notification if it is not supported by my hosting company. I wish I never mad the upgrade.

It's been close to 5 months with this issue. I'd really like to know how we are supposed to run our businesses with this kind of stability.

Parallels, I know you're aware of this. Can you please update us on what is going on and when we can expect any kind of fix?

Thank you.

Has someone found a solution? I've exactly the same problem under an Ubuntu server of OVH

In Plesk prior to 9 it used Apache and mod_php for the plesk management daemon (httpsd). 9.x introduced lighttpd, and a fcgi based design. This new configuration reads the /proc file system directly as a non-privileged user, since there are a number of vectors to attack the system through /proc, both grsecurity and selinux implemented security controls on the filesystem to restrict access to the root user.

If those controls are in place, it will manifest itself on a Plesk 9 system as runaway instances of plesk cgi process.

Back