• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Plesk as e-mail ONLY server

Comando

New Pleskian
Hello people.

I currently have 9 sites on one Plesk installation. It's all on a single server.

Now I want to rent 10 servers and to just put Plesk with email service on one of them and nothing else.

On other physical servers, there will be sites with their domains, while only MX settings will be on the server where the Plesk is.

Let me explain:

VPS 1 - centos with plesk and only mail server on that instalation, no hosting, nothing... just email.
VPS 2 - debian site pointing only for MX records on Plesk which is on VPS 1.
VPS 3 - ubuntu site pointing only for MX records on Plesk which is on VPS 1.
VPS 4 / 5 / 6.... all MX record send and recive will go through and over Plesk on VPS 1

How can I do it the best way?

Help me help you, because there is something I'm not getting...
  • Where do you think to run Plesk? Just on VPS1 (and configure the others manually) or in each of the several VPSs?
  • What's the difference between (VPS2 & VPS3) and (VPS4... 10) ?
  • Where do you think to configure DNS for each of the domains? <-- most important question
  • Who will act as NS (at least two)?
... all MX record send and recive ...
there is not such a thing as a "send MX": MX records are just for receive and they just says: "Hey, if you want to send me mail, please send it here" (and, if I'm out, to any of these good neighbors of mine who will then give it to me, in case you have multiple MX with different priorities)
In theory you can send mail for whatever domain from whatever host. In practice it is the TXT SPF records that declares which servers are legitimately allowed to send mail for your domains. As a shorthand, in the SPF you can put "mx" to tell that the servers who are MX can also send.

Edit, corrected a typo: (VPS1 & VPS2) ---> (VPS2 & VPS3)

It sounds to me like you are wanting multiple servers to relay outgoing mail thru another server.

Try Googling relayhost. That's what you're looking for.

If it's going to just me mailserver, you don't exactly need Plesk on it.....

I still don't understand the logic... if this comes down to sending clean mail, you'd be better off using the money on a service like MailChannels

Back