• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Plesk Branding only for Title?

orion

New Pleskian
Is this correct but the logo/name change only applies to the title bar and not Plesk pages?

If I want to rebrand the name Plesk to MyPanel do I need to create a new locale for this? I had the impression the branding section features allowed you to change the Plesk name everywhere in the interface as accomplishing this would be very easy by just using a %variable% everywhere where the Plesk name appears in the locale files.

Is it possible to change the Plesk name as well point all the documentation urls to your own in a more elegant way?

Having to create a new locale just for this would be a bit overkill, in particular, if you have to do this for more than one language...

Thanks

Hi orion,

actually, it states pretty clear:
Set your own logo image, text in the browser's title bar, or apply a custom branding theme.
... so any changes will result in changes for your LOGO, or/and for the BROWSER'S TITLE BAR.

What else would you like to change? Could you pls. describe that with more details, when you write:
point all the documentation urls to your own in a more elegant way?

If you want to rename/rebrand Plesk you would need to create a separate language file if I'm not mistaken. This seems unnecessary if the branding feature was better designed.
Site Presence Builder allowed you to change the name in a config file and it was changed everywhere where the name appeared in the GUI for users.

Should this not work similarly in Plesk? Why would someone just want to replace the browser title but not everywhere else? That would be very confusing for a user. If you refer to the control with a particular naming convention, it should be consistent everywhere. So in the language files, the name Plesk should be a variable that you can change from the branding section. Then for a simple branding change, you don't need to make your own locale, you can stick to using the provided ones, and Plesk will just replace the word %plesk% everywhere. The same would be true for Resellers branding and they choose their own settings.

As for the documentation, Presence Builder also had this. You could change the documentation link, and it would change it everywhere to your own url. This was even for in-context help, because it could pass the variable or append the url based on the chapter or page. That way you could correctly link to your documentation as well.

I hope that makes sense.

Hi orion,

I'm still a bit surprised about your wishes. So if I understand you correctly, you want the name "Plesk" being replaced with your desired name, everywhere that it is being used, so you could tell your customers that you coded the whole "control panel" ? Each software company I know charge you extra for such a wish and this should by far not being included in a general monthly fee for your current Plesk license, where you pay for the USAGE.

In addition, are you then copying the whole official Plesk documentations and replace the word "Plesk" with the desired name? Acctually, this would be a copyright infringement and will cost you quite a lot of money. ;)

Plesk offers only limited ways of "re-branding" and they do this without charging extra for it. If you desire MORE, pls. contact the Plesk sales team and arrange a special, custom license fee, so that you are legitimated to change the name "Plesk", where ever you would like to. :)

You seem to be confused about copyright laws. I never said to claim something from Plesk and say it was written by me or anyone else. WPB allows exactly this feature and last time I checked it was made by the same company. So I basically asked for the same features but with Plesk.

I never said a company would claim its coded by them. It's for consistency with support and talking with customers, making documentation, marketing material and brand/product consistency. We have our own trademark for some products, so why would be invest a huge amount of money promoting Plesk or cPanel? Not serious company would approve a budget for another company.

Copying the documentation would be indeed copyright infringement and that is exactly why I asked about changing the url to let customers point to their own documentation instead of using Plesk's site. You basically just confirmed that users should not be using Plesk documentation in the first place because, well it belongs to Plesk.

A documentation that is written by us, with our video tutorials and without products and services. It would hardly even resemble Plesk because Plesk is only one small part of the equation when providing services. It doesn't include a lot of things like domain registration, IP management, cloud instances, etc., that would be integrated.

I'm also a bit surprised by your response when Plesk is not a free software. People are licensing Plesk and last time I checked you are targeting it as well to service providers, so I don't see what the problem with completely removing the Plesk references.

cPanel has no issue with this and Godaddy has done exactly that in the past. Their cPanel was so customized that you didn't even know it was cPanel unless you already know the software. And I and others asked cPanel before about how to remove their logo and other things, and they give clear directions without issues because they don't care. (that is what white label and branding is). Same with WHMCS. Removing the copyright internally is one thing and not what I was asking. Removing references to where customers interact with products and services is a completely different story.

Someone that knows Plesk or cPanel is not even the purpose of branding. They will always recognize Plesk, or cPanel or whatever software a provider is using. And actually, that is precisely a selling point. When customers ask's what you are using as the provider, you tell them Plesk, and then they want Plesk because they see how incredibly powerful it is when it comes to branding and customization. Even if a customer never changes anything, people want to see a vision of what you can do or go with a platform, assuming you consider Plesk a platform and not just a software like Office or Windows.

Let put WHMCS as an example, do you really think anyone would buy WHMCS if you were not allowed to rebrand it completely? Of course not. Even Plesk here promotes WHMCS integration and last time I checked, every single company that uses WHMCS or Blesta for billing, you will not find one single reference to the software. Blesta even promotes their code is open for changes. That is what companies want today. This has nothing to do with copyright infringement; they allow this and nobody would use the software otherwise if they can't change it to fit their brand/company.

The service provider edition should allow full rebranding, why not? It's not like this is free, a company would be licensing every single server so why would Plesk care about this? They are still profiting and receiving money, and anyone with even a small clue will know its Plesk anyway, you can't hide anything on the Internet, and someone asking somewhere would get a direct reply. The only purpose of this is branding something together with a product, for example, if someone decides to sell just email services with Plesk and call their product "Business Email" maybe they want Plesk to be completely branded as "Business Email".

It's not your customer's job to do marketing for Plesk. That is Plesk's job as a company. Plesk customers end users are their customers, at least talking here about the Hosting/Service Provider edition. If you buy Plesk for your own use or sites, that is a different model.

If you consider this is somehow strange (what I asked), Presence Builder got it completely right. They even have full documents on how to rebrand/customize everything you want here:

Rebranding Presence Builder

Yes, that also includes the name and help links everywhere, colors, even topics...

Did I mention they even allow to remove the copyright footer? And no, this has nothing to do with infringement. You are not selling the software to others as developed by your company and you are not internally removing any copyright references or code either. Here, take a look:

Changing the Product and Company Logos, Hyperlinks, and Copyright Notice

Hi orion,

and last time I checked you are targeting it as well to service providers
Me? Did you miss that I'm just a normal forum user here, as you are? ;)

You basically just confirmed that users should not be using Plesk documentation in the first place because, well it belongs to Plesk.
No, I didn't. I indeed often enough encourage Plesk users, to use the documentation more often, than they ( mostly ) actually do. You might want to confirm this by yourself by reading some more of my posts here in the forum. :)

WPB allows exactly this feature and last time I checked it was made by the same company.
From MY point of view, it is something totally different, replacing logos and brand names for pages that have been created with the help of the "Web Presence Builder", even if Plesk - templates are being used. The "Plesk Control Panel" ( and it's content ) shouldn't be compaired with pages created with editors and templates ( ... and again: this is MY point of view and I have no idea how Plesk or/and the Plesk - Team - Members think about it ). :)

Oh sorry, I had the impression you work for Plesk, since you said many times I should contact the Plesk team for special arrangements.

I think you are quite confused on what I asked or even what I pointed out in the Web Presence Builder link. Did you click and read the links I posted before? It has absolutely nothing to do with branding or customizing pages done with Web Presence Builder. The documentation is talking about how to brand the Web Presence Builder installation GUI on your server as a service provider or company offering the SiteBuilder platform to end users.

I know, because I have licensed that specific software before for at least two different companies and I have also applied to those branding changes. The end users never were aware they were using Web Presence Builder from Parallels, it was their CompanySiteBuilder, and it was sold as such.

The Plesk Control Panel should absolutely be compared with that software. Its from the same company and it also targets the same type of customers. The only differentiation service providers have today are customizing their products or services, unless you want them all to be the same boxed thing. Based on how many extensions, API's and instructions Plesk provides for customization, that is not what they want either.

They want their customers to be able to fit the software into their ecosystem of products, both for integration and sales. If a company using Plesk grows its customer base, it also means Plesk grows as they keep adding servers.

Hi orion,

o.k.... I will try to back up my point of view with some compairable examples:

"Dreamweaver", a software from Adobe is somehow compairable with the "Web Presence Builder" ( which is just a addon/extension for Plesk, btw. ) and you don't have the choice to re-brand it at all. Would you consider to ask Adobe, why re-branding the software is not possible at all?

The option offered by Plesk to re-brand "Web Presence Builder" is nice, but I don't really see, why such an option could increase the number of customers of a Plesk user, or of a Plesk reseller. I personally think, that it doesn't matter at all, if the extension is named "Blubb Blubb", "CompanySiteBuilder" or "Web Presence Builder" - what matters is the option to provide such an extension to the customers - nothing more. :)

Another reason, why I think that your goal will fail, is the fact, that Plesk has a lot of encrypted sites, which you are not able to edit/modify at all and due to the fact, that a language variable "%plesk%" ( as you desire it ) doesn't exist, even own language files will not re-brand the Plesk Control Panel the way you wish to re-brand it.

I could as well name dozens of informations, where the name "Plesk" appears when you use Plesk command line utilities - how do you wish to re-brand the name "Plesk" here?

I would like to continue with paths on the server, where the name "Plesk" / "plesk" appears and I'm even not finished, because Plesk packages, components and some extensions are mostly named with "plesk" as well. How are you going to re-brand the name "Plesk" here? If you start at one point to argue for a more complete re-branding possibility, I personally think that you shouldn't stop at another point, where it's nearly impossible to re-brand the name "Plesk".

Pls. don't get my words wrong, I just want to point out that the existing re-branding options are fair and sufficient as they are. :)

Another reason, why I think that your goal will fail, is the fact, that Plesk has a lot of encrypted sites, which you are not able to edit/modify at all and due to the fact, that a language variable "%plesk%" ( as you desire it ) doesn't exist, even own language files will not re-brand the Plesk Control Panel the way you wish to re-brand it.

I could as well name dozens of informations, where the name "Plesk" appears when you use Plesk command line utilities - how do you wish to re-brand the name "Plesk" here?

I would like to continue with paths on the server, where the name "Plesk" / "plesk" appears and I'm even not finished, because Plesk packages, components and some extensions are mostly named with "plesk" as well. How are you going to re-brand the name "Plesk" here? If you start at one point to argue for a more complete re-branding possibility, I personally think that you shouldn't stop at another point, where it's nearly impossible to re-brand the name "Plesk".
This is true. I think it will be easier to write your own Panel from scratch than to replace the word Plesk, wherever it occurs, including the encrypted PHP code in the Plesk files.

Back