• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk broken backups archives

PeopleInside

Regular Pleskian
Username:

TITLE

Plesk broken backups archives

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS
Product
Plesk Obsidian
Version 18.0.42 Update #1

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

Recently I discovered that Plesk seems is generating broken backup archives.
Full issue description has been discussed here: Plesk backups, corrupt?

When I download the backup archive, seems I'm unable to extract my folders and files of the server so will be a backup that never allow me to get my folders and files... Seems if this archive is restored on Plesk works (I never tested this but someone did in the discussion linked) but if I need get folders and files of my hosting plan it's impossible because archive are broken... gives errors.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Download a backup archive.
Under the user folder in the archive there is a file compressed called apache files, if you try to open or extract will give errors. For more details see: Plesk backups, corrupt?

ACTUAL RESULT

Plesk backup archive seems to be corrupted because not all files inside the archive are readable means that when I try to find my folders and file in httdocs... I never found it.

EXPECTED RESULT

Be able to find files and folders inside the httpdocs in the backup archive and never get error when try to open archive inside the backup.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Help with sorting out

We did not change anything in the procedure for creating backup files in the latest updates.
It looks like you try to open the Unix format of the backup file under Windows. In this case, it is better to use tar utility in WSL or Cygwin
Moreover, file backup_apache-files_2204220757.tzst is empty and it seems 7zip works incorrectly with such files.

@IgorG the issue is: where are all my files and folders in the downloaded backup?
The reply is: there isn't. No file are accessible this means the Plesk backup is unreadable from the user.

If is readable so please explain where I can find my file and folders.

I checked the downloaded backup and it has a lot of file that cannot be used.
Maybe that file can be useful for the Plesk panel but this is not a backup where user can restore his files without Plesk, if this is possible so please explain how.

I reported the generated compressed backup file looks to be corrupted, I'm not the only one that I'm reporting this.
If for you this is not an issue, well I cannot force you to understand something is not right.

I tried to report the issue,
I get no solution right now.

You suggested to download software that I don't know what is and also you are saying that the archive where I expect to have my apache file is empty and this is normal so... again, the Plesk backup looks to be corrupted or please explain where user can find files and folders not encrypted, readable.

My PC is reaching very high temperature trying to extract this broken archives.
Finally I'm able to show the error that confirm the archive is broken.
See screenshot.

Attachments

• ERROR Immagine 2022-04-27 000922.png
    ERROR Immagine 2022-04-27 000922.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Immagine 2022-04-27 001011.png
    Immagine 2022-04-27 001011.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 8
One again: No, the archive is NOT broken. You are trying to open the archive with software that simply DOES NOT SUPPORT the archive's format. Either use a program that supports the format or configure your Plesk to create the old zip format archives so that you can open them with your PC software.

It makes absolutely no sense to keep insisting that the archive is broken. It is not broken. You are simply using a software to decompress it that is unable to deal with the format. Just as you cannot expect MS Excel to open a PDF file properly or a text editor to open an MS Word file you cannot expect your zip based decompression software on a PC to open a zstd format file from Linux.

One again: No, the archive is NOT broken. You are trying to open the archive with software that simply DOES NOT SUPPORT the archive's format.
  1. I tried to open the archive with software suggested in the Plesk guide, without success.
  2. I'm happy to see I'm not the only one that is reporting this kind of issue
It makes absolutely no sense to keep insisting that the archive is broken.
Is broken until you cannot demonstrate the contrary as I showed many unzip program are unable to extract it.
Now I know there is just one software that worked for me on Windows: WinRAR so maybe the archive is not broken but for me still think is not really working very well. Maybe the compression format is too new or simply not yet implemented in software that manage compressed files.
You are simply using a software to decompress it that is unable to deal with the format.

All software, not just one.

- PeaZip
- 7Zip

All free software I know and I tried also the edited version of 7Zip.
Now I know there is a paid software that work, WinRAR, thanks for the information.

Just as you cannot expect MS Excel to open a PDF file properly or a text editor to open an MS Word file you cannot expect your zip based decompression software on a PC to open a zstd format file from Linux.
Compressed file usually can be moved and managed from different OS without issue so, I don't agree comparing it to a specific format PDF or Office that is a format specific of just one specific software.

Thanks anyway for the try to help.
The issue was: the new compressed format is simply very hard to read on Windows and also suggested software never works for me.
Finally, thanks to the discussion on Plesk Talk, discovered there is a paid software WinRAR that seems the only one software tested that works.

I suppose the archive is not broken so also if I suspect is not normal that just a paid software are able to manage them and not all other available software for manage compressed files.

"configure your Plesk to create the old zip format archives"
Where is the setting in plesk , which i can chage?

"configure your Plesk to create the old zip format archives"
Where is the setting in plesk , which i can chage?

Back