• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Please beaware of a breaking change in the REST API on the next Plesk release (18.0.62).
    Starting from Plesk Obsidian 18.0.62, requests to REST API containing the Content-Type header with a media-type directive other than “application/json” will result in the HTTP “415 Unsupported Media Type” client error response code. Read more here

Issue Plesk default generate domain set in email header Helo

williamplk

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.61 Update #3
Hi,

when i sent mail from my hosting to gmail then i check mail source then i found helo=great-germain.172-104-61-6.plesk.page.
this will make icloud or gmail treat my mail server all spam even i change outgoing mode to Send from domain IP addresses.

i'm sure why it keep this default domain generate by Plesk? it should be my hostname (hostname.mydomain.com)

Received-SPF: pass (hostname.mydomain.com: localhost is always allowed.) client-ip=127.0.0.1; envelope-from=[email protected]; helo=great-germain.171-104-61-6.plesk.page;

anyone experienced it before?

You mean you have changed your servers host name the hostname.mydomain.com, but the previous Plesk hostname is still used in the Helo header?

If that's the case, see this support article for changing the SMTP banner (helo) in Postfix: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...-and-SMTP-banner-in-Postfix-on-a-Plesk-server
i have check that article in this link but in saw my server is correct as article mention already but i keep seeing Helo in email source as helo=great-germain.172-104-62-6.plesk.page

below is got from Gmail when i view email source.

Received-SPF: pass (hostname.mydomain.com: localhost is always allowed.) client-ip=127.0.0.1; envelope-from=[email protected]; helo=great-germain.172-104-61-6.plesk.page;

if this keep difference from my hostname server then all email sent will go spam every time. How do i fix it please? is it cause from RDNS? or any cache?

I try to check all of that but i think it correct but it keep show the default domain from the first time Plesk generate for me even i have already update to my domain. pls help

my environment server setup:
  • i use Linode cloud,
  • Ubuntu 22
  • then install Plesk for Trail from web auto installer

Bash:
grep "myhostname" /etc/postfix/main.cf

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)
myhostname = myhostname.mydomain.com -> this is correct with my server hostname and domain

Strange. If you reload the Postfix configuration with the postfix reload command, does that solve the issue?

Initially, Plesk generated a temporary domain for server login to prevent SSL errors. After changing the hostname and setting my domain, it updated to the new hostname and domain. However, I noticed in the DNS record the SPF entry still showed v=spf1 a:great-germain.172-104-61-6.plesk.page.

I then updated it to hostname.mydomain.com. Despite this change, my emails were still going to spam in Gmail. Upon inspecting the email source, I found that great-germain.172-104-61-6.plesk.page was still present.

Just a thought but having great-germain.172-104-61-6.plesk.page in your SPF record shouldnt matter as it will still resolve to the IP of your server whether you use your new hostname or the plesk generated one.

The reason Im guessing Plesk doesnt change this when you change the hostname of the server is that if you were hosting DNS for domains that were not using your server for mail then changing the TXT records that contained the SPF would break that mail service. Controling DNS with host changes can be problematic.

So to solve your problem;
First rule of Mail Servers is not to talk about Mail Servers
Second rule of Mail Servers;
  • make sure your hostname points to your servers IP (if you have more than one IP then it should point to all the IPs)
  • make sure those IPs have a reverse DNS set to your hostname so it should go something like this:

Got interrupted before finishing the edit on that post, complete post should be as below;

Just a thought but having great-germain.172-104-61-6.plesk.page in your SPF record shouldnt matter as it will still resolve to the IP of your server whether you use your new hostname or the plesk generated one.

The reason I'm guessing Plesk doesnt change this when you change the hostname of the server is that if you were hosting DNS for domains that were not using your server for mail then changing the TXT records that contained the SPF would break that mail service. Controling domain DNS with host server changes can be problematic.

So to solve your problem;
First rule of Mail Servers is not to talk about Mail Servers
Second rule of Mail Servers;
  • make sure your hostname points to your servers IP (if you have more than one IP then it should point to all the IPs)
  • make sure those IPs have a reverse DNS set to your hostname so it should go something like this [hostname.com >> IPaddresses >>hostname.com]
Third rule: Use SPF AND DKIM records, ensure that they are configured properly
Fourth rule: Keep a tight reign on sending limits from your server. If someone wants to do a bulk mail, use a third party sender like MailChimp, use a blacklist monitoring service for your IPs
Fifth rule: Use SSL/TLS or STARTTLS exclusively for users.

New domains can take a while to create a reputation with some of the big house mail services.

Just looking at your set up you need to fix the rDNS for a start.

D.

Thank @Dave W i have follow Plesk document all and your suggestion was check already but it not that caused.

i think the cause is from Linode side. I'm not sure why this happen but this domain Plesk generate during first intallation for admin login prevent ssl error but after i update to my hostname domain it still problem in email header Helo by keeping the old on.

may be internet has ghost? :p as you can see below, this ip is my old that has problem now i remove it from Linode but i still can see plesk.page still remain. (i have removed since 2 days)

1716796466365.png

Now i have solve it by reinstall Plesk to new Linode and New IP everything working find and Helo in email source is my hostname.

@Kaspar@Plesk if possible please update Linode image for newest ubuntu 22, i saw in Linode marketplace use old ubuntu version 20.

Thanks,.

Back