• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Plesk DNS configuration question

Huey Tinman

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Centos7
Plesk version and microupdate number
Webhosting edition current version
Hello, I have inherited a Plesk server and a handful of sites, so I am getting my Plesk education in a live environment. The server has been up for several years with no issues outside of a lost root password for the Centos.7 os. I am creating new servers to migrate over to. Now the DNS is strange to me in that the registrar (Network Solutions) entry for the host is simply an (A) record as NS1.domain.com, XXX.xxx.xxx.xxx ip address pointing to the Plesk host server eg: Public to the firewall 192.x.x.x to the server nic.

All is working fine with that.

However, the new Centos7/Plesk host server i just stood up with its own public ip address set to NS2.(same domain) is not found by the new registrar (InternetBS). Thats the puzzle. Is it the new account with Internetbs?

Trying to move domain names and utilize whmcs.
The auto configured DNS in Plesk looks all good and compared to the working server/dns-config I intend to de-commission.
A last note is that the (Internetbs) DNS pointer wont hookup with the old server either and it works fine hosting a dozen sites. Did I just answer my own question?

I created the name servers for the primary Domain still at Network Sol.

Existing: NS1.thedomain.com, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Firewall translates to server LAN 192.168.0.xx1 Trusty old server
NS2.thedomain.com, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Firewall translates to server LAN 192.168.0.xx2 Plesk with WHMCS
NS3.thedomain.com, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Firewall translates to server LAN 192.168.0.xx3 Plesk Wb-Hosting Edition

The Test.testdomain.com is added to the new plesk servers successfully with WHMCS.
Adding these DNS entry's to the New Domain, Test.testdomain.com at Internetbs fails. error "Cannot locate dns server."
They ping fine from any location.

Any thoughts?

Hi @Huey Tinman,

This isn't a special thing with plesk but something with any self hosted DNS. You would need to create or update what's called "glue records" (Network Solution calls them Custom Nameservers). You can see examples of setting up Glue records over at:

Never used InternetBS but if they're a reseller or any of the registrar's that offer reselling (like GoDaddy) then following the instructions for those should be enough, or you'll need to reach out to their support if you're not able to find anything about glue records, custom hostnames, etc.

But basically without that glue record set, you will never be able to resolve. If the new registrar requires 2 name servers, you could just set them to the same IP address using NS2 and NS3 if you're planning on keeping NS1 alone for the time being.

Thanks? scsa20! From what I can see Plesk sets up the DNS for any sites added. There is one primary IP address that the Plesk host listens on for DNS requests. If you fire a domain down that IP address and it's on Plesk, Plesk manages it from there. Pretty slick!

My issue seems to be with the registrar. They won't/can't let me point my domain to the DNS server. I am getting off Networ*****tions I have too many domains over the years and they are three times the money. I don't think they have a reseller option with a WHMCS API. At least I didn't see one in their directory. Nothing should be this difficult but it is!! The search continues, the Registrar blamed everyone on the planet for the issue but their system. who knows? I will try a few others.

I've never liked Network Solutions, have some clients that uses them and it's always a pain when you're trying to do something that isn't the normal. I, personally, use porkbun.com myself (I recently started switching to them and am very happy so far, really straight forward to add custom name servers and glue records).

Back