• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk email passwords

galaxy

Regular Pleskian
I should have started a new thread to begin with...

I need to be able to access email passwords in plain text (not encrypted). I'm running with updates so as to not force encryption, which I'm told is a one-way deal. I'm going to have to go to new hardware soon, as I'm finding the hardware starting to fail.

I understand the "mail_auth_view" utility shows the passwords, and was wondering if it will decrypt them for you?

If not, how can I keep the behavior of non-encrypted email passwords so that the customer administrators still have access to them for their users? I know a new install forces encryption, which is why I can't do that. How can I preserve the non-encrypted passwords and move to new hardware? This seems to be a deal breaker for my customers.

Thanks.

Actually you can use standard Plesk migration methods and nothing will be broken. Or you can use dump/undump whole filesystem from old hardware to new as absolutely reliable way.

I will need to update Operating System, which is part of problem. I'm still on CentOS 5, so need to move to 6 or 7, so don't know if either of those will work. I was told I need to do a "fresh install" on the new OS, then migrate data over. Will that work and preserve plain-text passwords?

Back