• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk Email Security - fully qualified domain name: a "strange" Issue

Squicky

New Pleskian
Hi everyone, I'm a new Plesk user with zero experience and I need help understanding and solving a Full Hostname issue.

My server is running on Debian 10.8 and everything seems to work fine.
I tried to install Plesk Email Security but I cannot set the extension configuration because the hostname is not valid.
In my System Overview the Hostname is absolutely correct –> plesk00.example-domain.com but if I access the server executing the command # hostname via terminal, the Hostname name is actually missing the domain associated with the server because I see only plesk00 and not plesk00.example-domain.com as should be.

root@plesk00:~# hostname
plesk00
root@plesk00:~#

This article describes the procedure for changing hostname via terminal because from Plesk cPanel the hostname result correct.
How to change or get the server hostname on the Plesk server

Since everything is working fine, I would not want to cause a disservice by changing the hostname with the terminal commands.
Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• images-full.jpg
    images-full.jpg
    816.9 KB · Views: 31
That's o.k. you can have several host names in /etc/hosts. Only the first is reflected by the hostname command, but it's not really important. In Plesk you enter the fully qualified domain, the name that can be accessed from the internet and leads to your server.

That's o.k. you can have several host names in /etc/hosts. Only the first is reflected by the hostname command, but it's not really important. In Plesk you enter the fully qualified domain, the name that can be accessed from the internet and leads to your server.
Hi Peter, many thanks for your reply.
But how can I fix the Plesk Mail Security Issue?
I can't use this extension because the full hostname is not properly set (see my screenshot above).
As I wrote, I'm a beginnig Plesk user, and I don't know how to fix the problem.

Thanks in advance,
Marco

You can change the order of host names in /etc/hosts, you can also verify that in Plesk you have entered the fully qualified hostname.

You can change the order of host names in /etc/hosts, you can also verify that in Plesk you have entered the fully qualified hostname.

My fully qualified hostname is already set into Plesk but when I try to open Plesk Email Security extension appears a warning (see image attached).

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 45
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 37
> You can change the order of host names in /etc/hosts, ...
Peter, many thanks for your patience!
In the attached image my /etc/hosts configuration.
As I told you, I'm not too skill about these technical problems.
Please, could you suggest me how to set correctly the hosts file to solve the Plesk Email Security issue?

Many thanks in advance

Attachments

• hosts-01.jpg
    hosts-01.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 57
@Squicky, I am not familiar with Debian, but my CentOS /etc/hosts file has an entry with the servers external ip followed by the hostname. Like:
188.166.XXX.XXX vps001.example.com vps001

Isn't there an entry with your external IP in your /etc/hosts file?

Last edited:
@Squicky, I am not familiar with Debian, but my CentOS /etc/hosts file has an entry with the servers external ip followed by the hostname. Like:
188.166.XXX.XXX vps001.example.com vps001

Isn't there an entry with your external IP in you /etc/hosts file?

I did the change suggested and now works fine.
The problem is solved.
Thanks a lot to you and Peter for your help,
Have a nice day,
Marco

Back