• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Plesk Email Security Pro and Plesk Premium Antivirus?

c0m

Basic Pleskian
On my Plesk server I have Plesk Premium Antivirus installed/active and built-in by default.
The official Plesk documentation says that Plesk Premium Antivirus is based on Dr.Web.

However, there is also the Premium Antivirus for Servers by Dr. Web extension which costs $30 per month.
At the bottom of the extension description, it also says to "Install the Plesk Premium Antivirus component" and "Go to Mail Server Settings and select the Plesk Premium Antivirus radio button under "Antivirus settings". So I have both of these things active but I haven't purchased the $30 per month extension, like I said.

So what's the difference between the paid extension and the one that comes free with Plesk, as from all of the information they look like the same thing and use the same names?

Also I purchased and installed Plesk Email Security Pro and installed ClamAV that came with it - which is now active.
However Plesk Premium Antivirus is still apparently running in all of these places:

In Tools & Settings -> Updates ( :8447/add_components.html)
Plesk Premium Antivirus is listed under Mail Hosting as installed.

In Tools & Settings -> Mail Server Settings -> Antivirus settings ( :8443/plesk/server/mail/)
"Used antivirus: Plesk Premium Antivirus" is selected.

In Tools & Settings -> Services Management ( :8443/admin/services/list)
"Plesk Premium Antivirus" service is active.

My questions are:

1. What's the difference between the built-in/free Plesk Premium Antivirus and the $30 per month extension?

2. When I have Plesk Email Security Pro with ClamAV - does Plesk Premium Antivirus also run at the same time and check emails together with ClamAV, since the service for Plesk Premium Antivirus is running and it's also checked as the "Used antivirus" in the Mail Server Settings while Email Security Pro is also active.
I've read a report somewhere that Plesk Premium Antivirus shouldn't be running when Plesk Email Security Pro with ClamAV is running - but if so, why does it appear that both are running? And what's even the difference between the two anyway?

Overall, this is all very confusing, so any clarification is much appreciated.

1. What's the difference between the built-in/free Plesk Premium Antivirus and the $30 per month extension?
The free version allows spam protection only for random 14 mailboxes on your Plesk server. Related KB article is here: How does free Plesk Premium Antivirus define which 14 accounts to secure?
2. When I have Plesk Email Security Pro with ClamAV - does Plesk Premium Antivirus also run at the same time and check emails together with ClamAV, since the service for Plesk Premium Antivirus is running and it's also checked as the "Used antivirus" in the Mail Server Settings while Email Security Pro is also active.
I've read a report somewhere that Plesk Premium Antivirus shouldn't be running when Plesk Email Security Pro with ClamAV is running - but if so, why does it appear that both are running? And what's even the difference between the two anyway?
In fact, nothing prohibits running two or more antiviruses at the same time. But this is too much, in my opinion. Excessive consumption of server resources.

Reactions: c0m
Thanks for clarifying @IgorG

Can I please suggest an improvement for the screen at Settings -> Mail Server Settings ( :8443/plesk/server/mail/ ) - particularly the heading "Antivirus settings".

When the Plesk Email Security Pro extension is purchased and installed, which includes ClamAV anti-virus, the above Plesk setting page still says "Used Antivirus: None" which is incorrect as the Plesk Email Security page ( :8443/modules/email-security/index.php/) lists ClamAV as "RUNNING".

When Plesk Email Security Pro is active, there should be a message on the Mail Server Settings screen that ClamAV is active.

Attachments

• plesk-used-antivirus.png
    plesk-used-antivirus.png
    231 KB · Views: 14
Back