• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk for 64bit or Virtuozzo/Plesk for 32bit?

T

trauma

I'm not sure which forum is the best to pose this question. But here goes...

I'm currently a happy Plesk customer (7.5.3) running on RHEL 2.1. I've got a new server ready to go with an AMD64 processor, but the only version of Plesk that appears to take advantage of this is for Suse Linux 64bit. To complicate matters, I'm also interested in offering customers a VPS solution, which is where Virtuozzo would come in. But there is no mention of Virtuozzo supporting the AMD64 architecture.

So, is there no real benefit to utilizing the 64bit architecture for a web hosting server? Is this something that will be addressed in an upcoming version of Virtuozzo? I just wonder if I should go ahead with the Suse Linux install and wait on Virtuozzo for a later version.

Any insight, experience or help is appreciated.

Virtuozzo is not available for AMD64. If you do not have a server with a lot of memory, the advantages of a 64-bit OS are not significant. You should not go for SLES 9 just because Plesk supports it, other reasons should support this choice.

So the best distro for compatibility with Plesk Reloaded, Plesk Expanded and Virtuozzo would be RHEL 3 (or CentOS 3)?

I've read really great reviews about SLES 9. Is this a distro that will be receiving more support in the future?

SLES 9 has a high price, but it's a good distro and it gets quite a lot of support.

Isn't it the same price as RHEL 3?

As far as SWSoft support, all of the products seem to favor Red Hat.

Back