• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Plesk ftps and rsync?

daanse

Regular Pleskian
Hi,

is it possible to use a huge Plesk server for a Backup storage?
i.e:

-Create new Customer on Plesk.
-Give 1 TB Space
-somehow activate rsync

so that he can use the Hostname (or custom Hostname, is that possible?) for making Backups with extra Software or Windows Backup and or some specific Folders?

I ask because, maybe there is a max File Size over FTP or rsync?
What if Customer uploads a 100GB Image.

Any Ideas how i can move on with this Idea?

I've used servers to backup various things remotely - mostly Linux stuff, via ssh - but I'm not sure that being on a Plesk server would actually give any advantage.

It might help if you could outline what it is that you are hoping to back up, and for what purpose? The way you take backups depends not only on the type of data but on the circumstances under which you expect to restore it.

@SimonG Hi, thanks.

Background: I have a big Plesk Server with over 2 TB free Space.
I need to use that Space.

Plan is to Backup a Image of a System (i.e. Windows Backup, Timemachine, or what ever)
It could also be just a Internet "Folder" with enogh Space to just upload and Sync specific Folders so that in Case of Laptop Crash, Backup is in "Cloud" ...

But this probably means, that if its a Image of an Laptop, the Backup File/ Image File could be very huge...

There are no file size limitations than I'm aware of: anything the file system supports, Plesk will support. So if you have 2TB of storage, and you'd want to upload a 2TB file, you're good to go if you have an EXT3 or EXT4 partition. Beware of upload timeouts though...

Using FTP to transfer large files over the Internet works, but can be slow.
I've seen a Plesk server with an FTP repository running on a home storage system with an FTP server built in and a large backup (about 12GB) took 24 hours to load back onto the server. The FTP server was connected via 100Mb Ethernet to the router/modem then cable to the internet.

The FTP server itself wasn't all that fast, admittedly, and contributed to the delay.

If you're connecting over a local network it would be much more manageable.

Setting up a Windows share is fairly straightforward, although potentially slow if it's over the Internet. If your server is running Linux you could even install Samba for this, although that would then be outside of Plesk. It's convenient for copying and sharing smaller files but if you're going to use it for single, large files FTP is the best bet, I think.

But again, I'm not sure that Plesk itself will help you with any of this.

Back