• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Plesk-hosted Email down

marvin

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Centos 7
Plesk version and microupdate number
Obsedian 18.053
My wife's email account (run from our Plesk-enabled VPS) has been down for a month.

To clarify: she is still getting emails. She is unable to send email on Thunderbird (Mac) or MacMail (iPhone). The iPhone is saying that our mail server will not identify itself, while Thunderbird keeps whingeing about an expired 'Peers Certificate' and advises me to check the settings on my server.

I'm reluctant to change random settings on my VPS as there are a number of other email accounts hosted there, and there are no issues with these accounts. This includes my own account, running of the same domain on Mac and iPhone without problems.

The problem first occurred just over a month ago, when my LetsEncrypt security certificate auto-renewed. My first action was to re-ssue a new certificate manually to make sure everything was covered. This didn't fix the problem.

I've tried fixing the individual account in Command Line, with the same result.

Compounding the problem, the VPS occasionally shuts down taking hosted websites with it. This first happened when attempting to use webmail, but has since happened at random intervals.

Anybody else had these problems? Do I need to go to GMail for reliable delivery and completely reconfigure my hosting to fix this?

Well, the plot just sickened. I've logged into Plesk and was looking at Plesk Premium Email. Clicked on my own doman and fist of all I got a screen that told me that Centos was working. Checked a second domain and was told the following:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to webmail.XXXXX.co.nz. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

In fact, now the whole VPS and all the websites it contains is down. I can't log into Plesk because it is down, and will be until the server resets itself...

NOT AT ALL HAPPY

Just followed the steps in this thread: Resolved - Dovecot seems down, but...

Result. Whole damn VPS went down.

Yep, Plesk interface is telling me:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to serverXXXX.XXXXX.co.nz. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Taken a screenshot of what Webmail was telling me (attached). It's now showing the same PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

No website but I can still get email from server...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 3.39.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 3.39.03 PM.png
    369.8 KB · Views: 2
Your server probably did not crash. Have you checked Fail2Ban whether your IP address is whitelisted so that it will not be blocked on wrong login attempts, e.g. through email clients? When you updated your system, were any errors logged from the update process? For example in /var/log/plesk/install/autoinstaller3.log? Have you checked in Tools & Settings > Security > SSL/TLS certificates that both, mail and web certificates are in place for the host?

Hi @Peter Debik , don't quite know what I did -- I think I reinstalled Dovecot and now have email working on both macs (Mac Mail and Thunderbird on the older machine). So now both iPhones don't do email...

Think this is something to do with IMAP settings. Both computers are using POP and that's obviously working...

All phone is telling me is that server is not responding...

For further assistance, would it be possible to please provide the exact error messages and configuration content? Like "steps to reproduce", because else the only information we can see here is that something does not work, but it remains unclear what the situation is on the devices. Did you, too, check that the phones' IPs are not blocked by Fail2Ban?

Back