• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Plesk installation backup

Franco

Regular Pleskian
Hello,
in view of upgrading to Plesk to 17.8 I would like to backup the Plesk installation (but not the entire server) for a potential rollback. What's the way to proceed? I have seen a lot of information on how to backup subscriptions and the entire server, but could not find any mention about Plesk itself. Can someone give me some indications, please?

Regards
Franco

I don't think this is feasible.
On Digital Ocean I would take a server snapshot beforehand, but you don't provide information on where your server is hosted so... no idea!

Thank you all for the hint and that's what I did.

However, I find it weird that one has to and restore and entire server in case a Plesk update goes bad. Why not a dedicated backup procedure like one does for subscriptions? Is there something I don't understand?

I don't see the point personally. I've yet to see an upgrade get botched so bad that it wasn't recoverable. Even if you do roll back - you're likely to just hit the same issue again, and staying on outdated software isn't really an option either.

Hi Mark,
it's not because it's called Plesk that it won't ever fail. I am old enough to have watched and lived several disasters in IT, and coming from unexpected angles (otherwise they could be prevented). If it happens and there seem to be no way around it the thing to do is a restore. Afterwards you have the time to analyse what happened without letting your users down too long and hopefuly find a solution before attempting it again.
But the point is that all these upgrade procedures offered by Plesk and other experts all start with a backup (as it should be). They say snapshot or full server backup; to me a full server backup does not sound right for a Plesk upgrade, but that's what they say, don't they?

A rollback for Plesk? Forgive my ignorance, but what is it and how does it work?

Cheers
Franco

Don't you think you'd waste more time doing a restore versus just spending the time to resolve the issue? I like to time my updates on any production system to be right after a scheduled full backup is done. Never needed it. May just be luck - If there was a way to backup panel only, I don't think I'd waste the additional storage space personally.

Back