• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk License for 1 Domain

matt001

New Pleskian
Hi

Back in the days when sw-soft owned Plesk they had a free 1 Domain Plesk License that was not a trial.

Is Odin going to bring this feature back, As I am wanting to build a Local Development Server in my office that is the same as our VPS runs Plesk and makes it easier to have the same environment, when building websites in our Dev Environment

Matthew

You can try to buy it from Odin Partners.
Odin will not offer 1 Domain permanent license keys.

Years ago Plesk indeed included free 1-domain license for evaluation purposes - but 1 domain seemed not enough for evaluation. Now this license is replaced with full-function trial licenses with limited duration. As that evaluation license has never been sold commercially, no partners can help obtaining it.

The best fit would be the cheapest "Web Admin" edition for 10 domains

This 1-domain license was also useful for installation purposes. We could previously automatically install our "subscription for monitoring purposes". Now we can no longer do that.
A default 1-domain license would be really helpfull.

Yes, I would really like to see a free 1 domain Plesk available again. The Unlimited trial for 14/30 days is great, but after that I'd like to see it revert to 1 domain. I'd find it very useful for testing various things.

Well, in my case, I want to continue to experiment with Plesk 12.5 to see how it behaves, and how MUs resolve problems and if they cause new ones. I don't want a key that expires after a few weeks - I want one that lasts forever so I can continue testing for as long as I need. I do not need to have multiple domains for my testing - just one.

A second scenario that I see is to actually offer a single-domain key for commercial purposes, in the hope that the customer would upgrade to a full key. The so-called "Fremium" model. I think we'd be able to sell a lot more VPSes with this model.

Of course I could just purchase a key for testing, but for a small scale reseller without access to the quantity discounts of the big companies, we are talking in the region of $100-$150 per year for a Web Host edition on Virtuozzo (less for Web Pro versions obviously, but that's not what I need).

** I have just found a page on the Odin website with trial key numbers valid for something like 28 days and it looks like new keys are added when these are no longer valid. Maybe these trial keys are all I need - I don't mind entering a new key every now and then. However, logically speaking, I would assume these keys would NOT allow you to enter a new trial key after the first trial key has expired? It seems to be that it would be asking for trouble otherwise?

However, logically speaking, I would assume these keys would NOT allow you to enter a new trial key after the first trial key has expired? It seems to be that it would be asking for trouble otherwise?
Hey Faris,

well this actually does work.
However usually Odin has a small timeframe of 1-5 days before adding new keys.
For the sole option of testing, I think it is very fair of Odin to actually provide such an option.
In the past you had to keep signing up for a trial key. At least now you can just Copy&Paste the key
whenever you need it.

Having a single domain licensed would of course be an option. But I think you would then even having this license being a "freemium" one
have "customers" and "users" expecting commercial support.

To be honest, I think Odin would actually loose a lot of customers that actually do not have more than one domain.
So why would Odin want to do this and loose money?

A Plesk Web Admin Edt. or even a Web App Edt. is no where near your figures you mentioned per year.

Regards,
Kristian

@faris,

In response to your questions and/or remarks, note the following.

First of all, with respect to

** I have just found a page on the Odin website with trial key numbers valid for something like 28 days and it looks like new keys are added when these are no longer valid. Maybe these trial keys are all I need - I don't mind entering a new key every now and then. However, logically speaking, I would assume these keys would NOT allow you to enter a new trial key after the first trial key has expired? It seems to be that it would be asking for trouble otherwise?

I must assume that you do NOT refer to the development portal (i.e. the partner portal, that contains a development portal).

As far as I can remember, the license keys from the development (partner) portal are valid during a longer period than 28 days.

Of course I could just purchase a key for testing, but for a small scale reseller without access to the quantity discounts of the big companies, we are talking in the region of $100-$150 per year for a Web Host edition on Virtuozzo (less for Web Pro versions obviously, but that's not what I need).

Not really, given the facts that:

a) licenses for Plesk can be cheaper, when purchasing licenses with Odin partners (be selective, prices differ greatly amongst those partners),

b) for testing purposes, the Web Host edition is not really necessary, in the sense that it is a "bit too much",

c) the development portal (i.e. part of the partner portal) provides you with development license keys, with full functionality, for free, during a relatively long period of time (I believe that the development licenses are valid during a couple of months).

In conclusion, sign up for the partner portal and download the (free) development licenses and validate whether these licenses satisfy your needs.

The appropriate URL for the partner network: partners.odin.com.

Hope the above helps, kind regards.....

Years ago Plesk indeed included free 1-domain license for evaluation purposes - but 1 domain seemed not enough for evaluation. Now this license is replaced with full-function trial licenses with limited duration. As that evaluation license has never been sold commercially, no partners can help obtaining it.

The best fit would be the cheapest "Web Admin" edition for 10 domains

How many times can I use trial license for a server?
Can I get a new trial license after 15 days for same server?
tnx

thanks for the answers.. i get the answer what i want.. keep supporting.........

Back