• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk Migrator: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xb5 in

skellenb

New Pleskian
Since Version 17.5.3 Update #27 i can't migrate most of the Clients/Domains between Servers.

After Pre-Migration Check and starting migration, a few seconds later Migrator will stop with this Error Message:

Failed to fetch configuration data from Plesk servers
Cause: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xb5 in position 2: invalid start byte
That is a critical error, migration was stopped.

any hints?

Hello!
Could you please provide us full trace from debug.log? And what version of migrator did you use? Is this problem actual for version 2.12 released on previous week?

Last edited:
Hello!
Could you please provide us full trace from debug.log? And what version of migrator did you use? Is this problem actual for version 2.12 released on previous week?

Yes this problem is for version 2.12

I couldn't upload the debug.log so i post this as link:
debug.zip

Last edited:
Debug log could be found at /usr/local/psa/var/modules/panel-migrator/sessions/<session_id>/debug.log on Linux and at <PLESK_DATA_DIRECTORY>\var\modules\panel-migrator\sessions\<session_id>\debug.log on Windows. To find the location of <PLESK_DATA_DIRECTORY> on your server, run the following command:
reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Plesk\PSA Config\Config" /v PRODUCT_DATA_D /reg:32

As I see from log you`ve attached, there is some problem symbol in one of json files gathered and used by migrator. In migration session there should be file called *hosting-description.json, could you please provide it (better in private conversation)?

As I see from log you`ve attached, there is some problem symbol in one of json files gathered and used by migrator. In migration session there should be file called *hosting-description.json, could you please provide it (better in private conversation)?

I have no hosting-description.json

upload_2017-11-8_15-21-15.png

I need plesk.backup.source.raw.hosting-desctription.json from listing you`ve provided :)

Marked as resolved because problem described above was solved by removing "old" System Users which doesn't belong to any Domain or Subscription anymore.

Hello!
We`ve reproduced your situation in our environment and created task to fix this problem in future releases(internal ID is PMT-4103).
Thank you for the provided information!

Hello, I'm experiencing exactly the same error:

Failed to fetch configuration data from Plesk servers
Cause: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xb5 in position 2: invalid start byte
That is a critical error, migration was stopped.

I got this error with dozen of sites, please help!!!

I'm using Linux Version 17.5.3 Update #30

Last edited:
Back