• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk Onyx 17.0.17 to 17.5.3 update problem because of Dovecot

Eberhard Gierke

Basic Pleskian
TITLE:
Plesk Onyx 17.0.17 to 17.5.3 update problem because of Dovecot
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE:
Plesk Onyx 17.0.17
Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS‬
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
There are problems when updating Plesk Onyx 17.0.17 to Plesk Onyx 17.5.3 because of Dovecot.

The last entry in the update log is the following ...

'Setting up plesk-dovecot-imap-driver (17.5.3-ubuntu16.04.build1705170317.16) ...'

After that entry was my system without function.

I have tried the update with a reinstall server - failed.

The problem ist the dovecot-imap-driver. i don't know why.
Because I do not want to reinstall my server twice a week, I change the imap-server from Dovecot to Courier-IMAP.
After that, run's the update to Plesk Onyx 17.5.3 without problems, so the problem is Dovecot.​
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
Server reinstalled - Strato customer area.
Then - update from Plesk Onyx 17.0.17 to Plesk Onyx 17.5.3.​
ACTUAL RESULT:
Update failed​
EXPECTED RESULT:
Update to Plesk Onyx 17.5.3 without problems.​
ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
In my case, i change from Dovecot to Courier-IMAP.
YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM:
Confirm bug

Attachments

• protokoll_update_von_plesk_onyx_17.017_nach_plesk_onyx_17.5.3.txt
    28 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Unfortunately not enough useful information here. I think it would be better to forward this issue to Plesk Support Team first for investigation directly on your server.
If experienced supporters find a real bug, they will report it to developers.
So, please open Support Ticket regarding this problem first.

I should pay a subscription to plesk to report a bug?
Sorry, this can not be the right way, right?
In the first month $ 0 and then every month $ 10 plus tax ...
I think for such a case there should be another way.

I should pay a subscription to plesk to report a bug?
Sorry, this can not be the right way, right?
In the first month $ 0 and then every month $ 10 plus tax ...
I think for such a case there should be another way.
I don't believe that it is bug. I see some kind of misconfiguration there.
But if there is actually found a bug, then you can ask for a refund.

I see some kind of misconfiguration there.

I do not think that because:

Step 1
Have the server installed in the customer area NEW.
Plesk Onyx 17.0.17
Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS‬

step 2
On the newly installed server via plesk logged in.
step 3
The update started
Plesk Onyx 17.5.3
Third and last step
update error

Where should there be a faulty configuration?

Try to run Plesk installer in debug mode with

# plesk installer --debug

and find more useful information about this issue in /tmp/autoinstaller3.log file.

Sorry Igor but I have a small company and do not want to constantly reinstall my server and tell my customers that they have no access to paid services.
In my case, i change from Dovecot to Courier-IMAP. Here the update immediately worked flawlessly.
If there is now no interest, then the problem must persist. sorry ...

Hi Eberhard Gierke,

Sorry Igor but I have a small company and do not want to constantly reinstall my server and tell my customers that they have no access to paid services.
You might have misunderstand the suggestion from IgorG. Only because you use the "plesk installer" - command, this doesn't mean, that you RE-install your server. This command is as well used to update/upgrade/patch your system, the Plesk components and it's extensions.

Pls. note as well, that Plesk HELPS to administrate your server, but it doesn't replace a server administrator. There are still some things, which Plesk can't do ( for example : Investigating a root cause of a ( possible ) issue and solve ( possible ) issues/errors/problems with your software package management ( "yum" at CentOS/RHEL - based systems and "apt"/"aptitude" and "dpkg" on Debian/Ubuntu - based systems ).

If you are an unexperienced linux administrator, pls. keep as well in mind, that most server hosters offer as well "managed server", which means that you don't actually have to deal with ( possible ) errors/problems/issues, because the server hosting company and it's team will take care of it, but such a "managed server" will certainly raise your monthly costs, just as the additional support options that Plesk offers, if you considered to purchase your Plesk license over a reseller. ;)

You might have misunderstand the suggestion from IgorG.

No, I've already understood that. In this case, my "problem" is that I have changed from Dovecot to Courier. And that will not change in the moment. I do not want to risk the system again to destroy. My customers have complained after I had to reinstall my system the fourth or fifth time.

I think that Plesk should match this scenario on their computers.
Is really simple. Possibly in cooperation with Strato.

Step 1
Install a server with ...
Plesk Onyx 17.0.17
Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS

Step 2
Starting the update to Plesk Onyx 17.5.3

Step 3
See what happens.

That was exactly what I did.

Nevertheless many thanks for your help!

Should there be news in this case, I would be grateful for a info from you.

Hi Eberhard Gierke,

sorry, but bug-reports must be confirmed and a confirmation can't be done with "I think that Plesk should match this scenario on their computers.", while it's unclear which root cause is on YOUR server, which is currently not possible to investigate without YOUR cooperation.

Even if Plesk Team - Members would try to reproduce the issue/problem/error on THEIR computers, it is nearly impossible to meet the very same environment, that you didn't even specified in your bug-report.

I hope that you understand, that there can't be any follow-up for you here to your bug-report and that it has to be closed, because of my given explanations. :(

that you didn't even specified in your bug-report.

Yes I understand that. I would like to help to find the bug, but is because of my customers a problem. I hope you can understand that.
But I think nevertheless still, that it is in the interest of plesk to find a possible bug.

My current system environment
CPU Intel Xeon (R) CPU E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30GHz (8 core (s))
RAM 16 GB - in use 2.89 GB - free 12.74 GB
Version Plesk Onyx v17.5.3_build1705170317.16 os_Ubuntu 16.04
OS Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
Update #6

Last edited:
BTW, as far as I remember, Strato uses the own mirror of Plesk repository.
Based on a number of previous problems related to this fact, I venture to suggest that this problem can also be caused by some problem with this mirror.

caused by some problem with this mirror.

That sounds logical. Update problems after new installing of a server, without importing of a backup.
The data source may be corrupted.
Can Plesk in collaboration with strato determine if there are problems with the mirror?

Last edited:
after talking with Strato or Plesk support

Oh, I've tried several times to talk with STRATO Support. This attempt, however, has unfortunately only been an attempt. The STRATO support does not appear to be responsible. This type of support would not be included in my "Packet" (pricing). No chance...
Possibly they respond differently about a Plesk request.:)

Although I'm experiencing some performance problems after converting to Dovecot.
I still don't have anything sensible to report regarding that, so I will keep investigating.

As to upgrading from 17.017 to 17.53 with Dovecot I have not seen any problems at all.
I have installed 4 Ubuntu Plesk servers from Strato in the last 5 months.
1 Ubuntu 14 and 3 Ubuntu 16. 2 of the latter in the last month.

I have had no problems with upgrading any of those. None came with 17.53....
They came quite late with their 17.53 mirrors, but besides that I haven't seen anything strange there.
Can you be more precise?

On May 3rd I had a production server with stuck CPU. After I got it restarted (only hard reset could get it back) I ordered a new server. It was delivered on the 4th. Plesk was completely running, upgraded to 17.53 at in the afternoon and soon I had the websites migrated to it and running. I was struggling a bit with ASSP so it took until the evening to get mail running properly. On Friday I was able to cancel the broken server and it was full in production without any of my clients noticing the change.

Last edited:
Can you be more precise?

Unfortunately, I can not say so much. I have reinstalled my server three or four times.
First with all my data (customers, domains, etc.) The Update destroyed my system, it stopped at the described point.

After that, I reinstalled the server every time new and I did not install any backup. It was a "clean" system.

Then I started updating from 17.0.17 to 17.5.3. The update ALWAYS stoped at the same point.
After that, the system stopped and was no longer usable. I could just reinstall again....
I have no idea why this did not work.

Then I'm changed before the next update from Dovecot to Courier-IMAP. Now ran the update WITHOUT problems.
Now I'm use Courier because I do not want to reinstall my server again. At this time, my customers have already asked what's going on.

Here is a part of the Update Protocol.
--------------------------------CUT--------------------------------

Processing triggers for systemd (229-4ubuntu17) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-19) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu7) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) ...
Setting up sw-cp-server (2.4.0-ubuntu16.04.17022818) ...
Setting up plesk-lmlib (0.2.3-ubuntu16.04.825.16120615) ...
Setting up sw-engine (2.21.0-ubuntu1604.201702161522) ...
Setting up plesk-engine (17.5.3-ubuntu16.04.build1705170317.16) ...
Setting up plesk-dovecot-core (2.2.27-ubuntu16.04.17031716) ...
Setting up plesk-release (17.5.3-ubuntu16.04.build1705170317.16) ...
Setting up plesk-base (17.5.3-ubuntu16.04.build1705170317.16) ...
Setting up psa (17.5.3-ubuntu16.04.build1705170317.16) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/plesk-release ...
Setting up plesk-dovecot (2.2.27-ubuntu16.04.17031716) ...
Setting up plesk-dovecot-pigeonhole (0.4.16-ubuntu16.04.17031519) ...
Setting up plesk-dovecot-imap-driver (17.5.3-ubuntu16.04.build1705170317.16) ... ---------- At this point the system has stopped.
NO MORE ENTRIES!

Back