• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Plesk Onyx Mysql Upgrade from 5.5.56 to 5.6 or 5.7

johnr

New Pleskian
I installed Plesk Onyx on a new server with Centos 7.4. using a package from the provider. Plesk installed Mysql 5.5.56. I checked under tools & settings--database servers and it said 5.5.56. I then clicked on the icon on the right and accessed the server via db webadmin. there is said the server type was MariaDB version 5.1. So i then went to this page - How to upgrade MySQL 5.5 to 5.6/5.7 or MariaDB 5.5 to 10.0/10.1/10.2 on Linux
and proceeded to upgrade the database server based on the instructions for CentOS 7.

Just to be sure. I ran the stop Mysql service command and got an error saying no such service was running. So then I proceeded to upgrade Mariadb to version 10.1.31. That went thru fine.

Now when I go back to the tools & settings----Database servers, it still shows Mysql but now the version number says 10.1.31. My guess is it is due to the fact that as part of the upgrade instructions, one of the commands is to update the package version inside Plesk.

So my question is what database server is being used for the accounts and by Plesk? Why is this so confusing? When I try to log into mysql using either root or admin I get a access denied. So how in the world do I log into the database server and check which database server is actually running. Plesk documentation says it installs mysql 5.5.56 by default even though CentOS 7 is being used.

Any help is much appreciated.

Login to database server:
# plesk db

Version information:
Is reported as "MySQL", but is indeed MariaDB. It is correct to see the MySQL-Logo as follows. The reason for that is that MariaDB is a drop-in replacement of MySQL and it does not matter to Plesk whether this is a real MySQL or a MariaDB databse.
mysql.jpg

Plesk uses the MySQL database system that CentOS 7 delivers by default. This is still MariaDB 5.x. When you install MariaDB 10.1 before you install Plesk, Plesk will not install the database server but use the existing MariaDB 10.1. For database installation, Plesk uses the OS package, and if the OS package defines MariaDB 10.1 as descirbed in the upgrade article, it will use that repository for maintenance, too.

Peter - Thank you for the prompt response. Your attached image is the same as what shows on my panel. I did the upgrade after Plesk was installed and it went well. Now when I use the admin or root to ssh into the server, I still cannot log into the database server. I even granted another user under a domain ssh access and then logged in and did a su root. But still no luck. Any thoughts?

# plesk db
must log you in, because else Plesk would not work at all. Did you try this?

As an alternative you can try
# MYSQL_PWD=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` mysql -u admin psa

# Plesk db worked. so simple...thanks again. I have become a big fan of Plesk Onyx and our customers like it too as it is not so complex (UI) as CPanel. I do have another question. Currently Plesk 17.8 is not showing up under upgrades. Is it because it is not GA yet? My version is still 17.5.3.

Back