• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Plesk PHP 7.3 FPM service failed to start

Ko Ko Zin

New Pleskian
Hi there,

I've been running plesk-php73-fpm on my Ubuntu 14.04 LTS VPS server. It suddenly stopped working and now the service `plesk-php73-fpm` cannot be started again. Every time I tried to start the service via `/etc/init.d/plesk-php73-fpm`, it failed with the following message in error log:

[06-Oct-2020 15:50:30] NOTICE: configuration file /opt/plesk/php/7.3/etc/php-fpm.conf test is successful
[06-Oct-2020 15:50:30] ERROR: Unable to set priority for the master process: Permission denied (13)
[06-Oct-2020 15:50:30] ERROR: FPM initialization failed

The error log doesn't explain enough details. Starting the PHP-FPM 7.3.5 via Plesk panel have the following error:

Plesk-Services.png

I've tried to reboot the server several times and still no different. Now, I've to switch all my sites to FastCGI instead of FPM since the FPM service has stopped and all sites went down.

Is there anyone have been experienced with the same issue?

You probably have a missing or orphaned php-file in /etc/php/7.0/fpm/pool.d/ or some other folder.

As of version 18.0.30 you can issue plesk repair web -php-fpm-configuration to fix that.
Before I had to use my own scripts to find out what was happening.

I do have a problem with that command myself as it detects one of my own PHP-configs as obsolete and deletes it without asking.
But I don't think anyone else will have that problem.

@mr-wolf, thanks for your answer. I've already tried plesk repair web command several times and got no luck. Now, I uninstalled plesk-php73-fpm and reinstalled it and it's working again.

I'm not sure what has happened with plesk itself. Look like something messed up while doing plesk auto updates on last weekend.

Are you running version 18.0.30 as that -php-fpm-configuration is a fairly new option?
Did you use the option -php-fpm-configuration ?

I ran a "plesk repair web" without options this week and noticed it also runs the php-fpm configuration check by default, but I don't know for sure if it did that from the start of its introduction on September 15th.

Anyhow, it's now too late to find out which file/domain was the culprit.

Are you running version 18.0.30 as that -php-fpm-configuration is a fairly new option?
Did you use the option -php-fpm-configuration ?

I ran a "plesk repair web" without options this week and noticed it also runs the php-fpm configuration check by default, but I don't know for sure if it did that from the start of its introduction on September 15th.

Anyhow, it's now too late to find out which file/domain was the culprit.

No, my Plesk version is 17.8.11 and the command `plesk web repair` doesn't recognize the option `php-fpm-configuration`.

My plesk panel says The system is up-to-date. Checked on Oct 2, 2020 01:32 AM. So, I'm not sure whether version 18 is not available for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Isn't 14.04 EOL anyway? Cause plesk already pulled 7.3 support for jessie.

Yes. It has already been EOL since last year, but I don't know whether I could be able to upgrade OS version on my VPS server. I was so keen to do about that.

I have to check with the service provider if they could allow to upgrade OS or need to upgrade my subscription or change the server with the latest OS version.

Never do an upgrade of a production machine.
It's better to make a clean install and migrate.
Currently I'm setting up an Ubuntu 20.04 LTS machine with Plesk that's replacing an Ubuntu 16 LTS that was in service for more than 5 years

Sure. I don't even have time to manage for that. And I'm not a system expert and we had a system admin who manage that server before. Now, I'm managing most of the things myself.

If we've enough budget, my priority is to move to cloud server that could be saved the time and effort to manage such things. Plesk is great, but the VPS infra is not stable in all these years for our in-house project.

Thanks for discussion.

In that case even more reasons to NOT do an OS upgrade at all with the probable risk of opening up a can of worms and stay with a system that's at least working.

Back