• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Plesk Problems with international domainnames

n0fear

Basic Pleskian
Username:

TITLE

Plesk Problems with

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Plesk Obsidian v18.0.57_build1800231122.14 os_Ubuntu 20.04

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

Plesk thinks that the Domain
www.grießen-feiert.de is the same as www.griessen-feiert.de but that's not true.
www.grießen-feiert.de is in fact www.xn--grieen-feiert-edb.de

for that if you want to add a domain called www.grießen-feiert.de on a server where is www.griessen-feiert.de allready or rename a existing domain to www.grießen-feiert.de it claims the domain is allready in use.

Internaly it looks like www.xn--grieen-feiert-edb.de is encoded to www.grießen-feiert.de so that even, you dont use the ß but only the decoded form www.xn--grieen-feiert-edb.de plesk makes problems.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1. Add a subscription with

www.griessen-feiert.de

to the server.

2. Add a subscription with

www.grießen-feiert.de

to the server - it is not possible, it shows "Domainname already exists" even
www.grießen-feiert.de is NOT the same as www.griessen-feiert.de instead it is www.xn--grieen-feiert-edb.de - a completly other Domain than the allready existing www.griessen-feiert.de

ACTUAL RESULT

Errors whith domain templates and not able to migrate

[2023-11-23 19:34:13][ERROR] Failed to generate migration list file
Cause: ('IDNA does not round-trip', 'xn--grieen-feiert-edb', 'griessen-feiert')
That is a critical error, migration was stopped.

EXPECTED RESULT

www.griessen-feiert.de should be another domain than www.grießen-feiert.de (www.xn--grieen-feiert-edb.de) and totaly not influence each othe

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

Update. I tryed that with other "umlauts" like

ä - there the problem does not occur. You can add
ähm.com without problems to a server where aehm.com exists

But as soon as you add ß somewhere like
ßuper.com on a server where ssuper.com is, it shows domain already exists on the server.

I could not edit my post anymore, sorry for that.

Thank you for reporting this, @n0fear. It seems to be the same topic as discussed in the ticket on the migration issue. Researching it further here showed that it is a known product issue, id PPPM-6199, that still needs to be fixed. I have asked the team if it could be prioritized, but have no further influence on it myself.

@Peter Debik sorry but i am really disapointed about plesk support! They really closed the ticket and told me developer told thats normal like it is as the punycode for ß would be ss. I dont know if they confuse it with INT Conversion... but Domain names with special chars are not just done like int like ß=ss or ä=ae so converting ß to ss is complelty wrong. I understand that suich problems may maybe only be in germany but...

ß in punycode is xn--zca and NOT ss!

else every domain with a ß would be the same as a domain with ss and thats NOT the case. As ß in punycode is xn--zca so a ß.de Domain is NOT the Same as ss.de it is in Fakt xn--zca.de - else we all would not have to buy / register 2 domains one with ß and one with ss - as it would in Plesk Developer explaination be the same....
and as it works with ä ö ü and they are not just the same as ae oe ue on plesk servers it is in fact a bug.
Well maybe i dont understand something but it is really anoying, that things dont work if one domain is called

xn--zca.de
and one
ss.de
for me thats totally different domainnames!

Hi @n0fear , I've already seen it internally. There is probably some confusion, because when someone doesn't know how ß/ss is treated in a language, they might not be able to see why this is important for the German language. I am already into the topic, trying to get it clarified. I think it's like if we were to assess a special situation with a language we don't speak like Cantonese or so.
Please allow more time, most of Plesk staff will become available during weekdays Mo - Fr again.

Hi @n0fear , I've already seen it internally. There is probably some confusion, because when someone doesn't know how ß/ss is treated in a language, they might not be able to see why this is important for the German language. I am already into the topic, trying to get it clarified. I think it's like if we were to assess a special situation with a language we don't speak like Cantonese or so.
Please allow more time, most of Plesk staff will become available during weekdays Mo - Fr again.
Thanks alot Peter, for all your work for the community! I really appreciate that, and even that customers get a response on Sundays! Thanks alot.

Sure, I'd love to see the ß/ss issue solved, too ;-) It seems that Plesk is using an "idn" utility on the command line, and the root cause is a flaw in that utility that always transcribes ß --> ss. So probably the whole algorithms that are involved need to be reworked. Let's hope that this will be done. I'll keep you posted here if I can find out more.

Sure, I'd love to see the ß/ss issue solved, too ;-) It seems that Plesk is using an "idn" utility on the command line, and the root cause is a flaw in that utility that always transcribes ß --> ss. So probably the whole algorithms that are involved need to be reworked. Let's hope that this will be done. I'll keep you posted here if I can find out more.
Thanks, for a workaround at the moment, do you know or can you find out, is there any new docs with all cli commands for the plesk migrator cli function? i wanted to exclude mails from migration (asit shows alot of errors, because there is no mail installed on both servers...) and would like exclude those 2 ss/ß domains from my cronjob (migration of runs ever night to a 2nd plesk server for failover function). However all my old documented --flags seem not to work anymore and i could only find a howto/command list from an old cli plesk migration. i am generating the migration list with one command, after that migrating it. I thought there is some exklude domains command for the migration list but ca not find it anymore.

The easiest solution could be to rename one of the domains before migration.
I need to exklude it, as written, i "misuse" the migration command on the cli via cronjob to have a 1:1 server with all domains, if the mainserver has maintenance or fails. Else i would have to renale the running domains everyday. but thats not the only problem, there are other things going wrong while plesk thinks ß is the same as ss in Domain Names, i can not even make a domain alias, as plesk tells me domain already in use. Well thanks anyway you gave this to the developers, maybe one of them will see the problem.

Meanwhile I've done some research and came across this very old blog post:
It explains why things are as they are at the moment. Anyway, all previous tickets and cases will be reviewed now and we'll re-evaluate if and what can be done to improve the situation. This will not happen before 2024 though as it is a problem that is much more difficult to solve as it look son the surface.

Meanwhile I've done some research and came across this very old blog post:
It explains why things are as they are at the moment. Anyway, all previous tickets and cases will be reviewed now and we'll re-evaluate if and what can be done to improve the situation. This will not happen before 2024 though as it is a problem that is much more difficult to solve as it look son the surface.
i still have the same problem, my whole migration with cli that runs daily still does not work anymore because of that problem. is there ANY command i can use to exclude a single domain from the migration in cli migration tool?

--ignore-migration-list-errors does not work, is there any workaround for my problem?

[ERROR] Failed to generate migration list file
Cause: ('IDNA does not round-trip', 'xn--grieen-feiert-edb', 'griessen-feiert')
That is a critical error, migration was stopped.

Workaround, if anyone else got the same problem. When the ß domain is already on the server generating migrationlist breaks. so before generating the list do a "plesk bin subscription --remove xn-ß-domain" i do that with cron job before the migration list generation cron starts. now the daily migration that i run, works again

Back