• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk restore won't work on all domains

BezNu

New Pleskian
Hi,

We have a VPS with lots of domains on it. On this server runs Plesk 8.2.

When backing up domains, I found out that some of them will correctly handle the backup and be able to restore it, but others give an error
"Error: Unable to read the backup file."
Details: "Backup file does not contain information about domain yourdomain.com"

When I run such a backup with the command line version of pleskrestore and 'info' it, the following information comes on screen:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/backup_info", line 6, in ?
backup_info.main()
File "/usr/local/psa/admin/share/backup_info/backup_info.py", line 140, in main
getDetailedInfo(sys.stdout, args[0], schema, params)
File "/usr/local/psa/admin/share/backup_info/backup_info.py", line 66, in getDetailedInfo
info = b.getMetadata().getInfo()
File "/usr/local/psa/admin/lib/python/backup.py", line 41, in getInfo info = dump_format.readInfo(self.fh)
File "/usr/local/psa/admin/lib/python/dump_format.py", line 432, in readInfo xml.sax.parse(fp, i)
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/xml/sax/__init__.py", line 33, in parse parser.parse(source)
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/xml/sax/expatreader.py", line 107, in parse xmlreader.IncrementalParser.parse(self, source)
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/xml/sax/xmlreader.py", line 123, in parse self.feed(buffer)
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/xml/sax/expatreader.py", line 211, in feed
self._err_handler.fatalError(exc)
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/xml/sax/handler.py", line 38, in fatalError raise exception
xml.sax._exceptions.SAXParseException: <unknown>:386:77: not well-formed (invalid token)
Empty error message from utility.

I've been checking both a correct and not working (like above) backup, and they both have the same structure, except for their contents. I've been validating the XML part on W3c, which gave no errors, I've been trying different configurations for the domain, even tried to make the settings the same like a 'working' domain, but all this doesn't matter...

I hope somebody has the solution I need.

one time I had very similar problem, pleskbackup made dump w/o problems but pleskrestore failed with the same "SAXParseException: not well-formed"

I could not find the reason myself, swsoft support did.. the reason was in custom button for this domain.. this custom button name was written with non-latin chars or contained control char, i do not remember exactly..

check backup's XML closely for this... if you need to edit it manually - note that chars must not be simply deleted or new chars must not be simply added there! you may only replace bad chars with other ones, for example replace bad char with 'x'

Allright! Thank you for your reply. Now this at least helps me some way.

I think I'm gonna try to locate these non-latin characters (although that might be a time-consuming process...) I'll post my solution on this forum.

If there are any ideas on how to locate these characters quickly, be my guest :)

deleted my previous post.. I forgot that we talk about BU, not PMM..

one time I had very similar problem, pleskbackup made dump w/o problems but pleskrestore failed with the same "SAXParseException: not well-formed"

I could not find the reason myself, swsoft support did.. the reason was in custom button for this domain.. this custom button name was written with non-latin chars or contained control char, i do not remember exactly..

check backup's XML closely for this... if you need to edit it manually - note that chars must not be simply deleted or new chars must not be simply added there! you may only replace bad chars with other ones, for example replace bad char with 'x'

@dirty

man, you saved my day. I'm currently migrating a plesk server an were running in a serious problem, that the migration agent stuck at 50%. Also manually backup and use the pre9 convert tool wasn't successfull, because of the "not well-formed" error.

But your tipp with the custom buttons saved my day!!!! After deleting the custom buttons which has some special characters, everything went well!!!

Thanks!!!!!

Back