• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question plesk server as dns server

stas styler

Basic Pleskian
Hey pleskians,

A very important question. I've been looking around and didn't find the answer.
I want to buy a new server and install plesk on it, and configure it to act as only a dns server running plesk.
Then when I add more servers, they would slave it so that we would have 2 constant records on ns servers for all our servers.

We sell shared hosting, and we would like to make 1 server to act only as dns server for all our clients no matter what server we add in our stack.

How should this be done?

To be honest, it is very strange decision to use Plesk only for DNS service. But anyway, you can manage your slave DNS servers with Plesk Slave DNS Manager extension - Slave DNS Manager - Plesk Extensions
Could you please explain me why is it a strange decision? Actually, we just want to make a DNS server that takes all the requests and manages the whole DNS for everyone.
But, in the same time to have a nice gui, isn't it somehow rational?

Could you please explain me why is it a strange decision?
I just wanted to say that managing DNS is only an insignificant part of Plesk possibilities :)
It seemed strange not to use the rest of all Plesk possibilities.

Could you please explain me why is it a strange decision? Actually, we just want to make a DNS server that takes all the requests and manages the whole DNS for everyone.
But, in the same time to have a nice gui, isn't it somehow rational?
It's not a strange decision. I have done exactly that.
One can rent a server with Plesk for not that much and have a nice GUI to manage it.

On another Plesk server that doesn't have DNS configured I installed bind.
The bind is therefore configured outside of Plesk's control and that's how I want it.
That bind is configured as a slave server for the authoritative server.

The 2 (or more) servers should be on complete different infrastructures.
It's better to have 2 on different infrastructures than 4 on the same infrastructure.

On the authoritative server I have installed the Slave DNS manager that IgorG referred to.

Back