• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk server migration and DNS

G

gtsiag

I'm migrating the contents of my Plesk dedicated server to a new physical server, and planning on using Plesk backup and restore to migrate the Plesk contents to the new server.

However i'm having some trouble figuring out how to smoothly complete the transition by changing appropriately the DNS as well, so that at the end of the day everything will work fine. If possible, i'm looking for a way to do this with the smallest possible domain downtime.

The Plesk version for both the old and new servers is 7.6.1.

Any ideas on how you would go about(or have already went so)?

Hi,

For the websites there is no problem, once you've all migrated, you can create a redirection for each domain in the old server to the preview URL for the new server; but for the email you should shut down the old SMTP service and the mail servers trying to deliver the email to you will keep retrying for 24 or 48 hours, which is enough to get DNS propagation finished.

If you are afraid about your customers, you can send an email to them explaining what will happen and start the migration in the first less usage hour (Maybe over 00:00?). Also you can change the DNS settings (NS's and so) when you start the migration because it will take you 3 o 4 hours to complete (or more depending on the number of domains and data you have) and when you'll finish, the DNS's will be on place.

Regards,

Arnau Marcé
www.silicontower.net

Back