• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk Solutions

R

rmataka

Hi, I have not posted to this forum in like decades.. but id like to share some of my experieces with hopes this will help.

FREE BSD

1)
In freeBSD 5.3 -- Dont Bother Loading Plesk 7.5.4
It complains about perl 5.8.5, and then it asks you
to upgrade, to perl 5.8.7, so i by accident loaded 5.8.8 and thought what the heck its a better version... but no ofcource not i needed 5.8.7, so i do that, and it installs.... but then apache wont start because of mod perl problems.. figure

wasted time ( 5 hrs)

2)
Dont even think about FreeBSD 6.0.... it needs libraries that are not available.

3)
Using last resort FreeBSD 4.9 Success!! almost ...
It loads correctly but if you have a host name in your etc/rc.conf
that it cannot resolve.. Apache will not start, on the client side not the plesk admin side... So make sure yo u have a vaild host name.

*** and any thoughts about loading Gnome 2.12 either by
pkg_add -r gnome2 or /ports/ ... Forget about it, error code
1 all over the place, 19 hours to install and fail, im serious i
tried on all these freeBSD versions 4.9 5.3 5.4 6.0 ... what a
nightmare.. Good Luck and let me know if ou get it running if
you dare to try !!

-----------------------------

Redhat 9.0

1)
Not Supported by redhat no more. Works Solid with plesk.. but became a hacked spam box...... bad news

Mandrake 10.0

1) Can Friggin update for nothing, 10.1, plesk just farts at.

Oh and Be Ware When Partioning your file system...

Redhat9.0 - /home/httpd/vhosts
FreeBSD - /usr/local/psa/home/httpd/vhosts

I learned this the hard way.. and im so glad they document this so well :rolleyes:

I found the best way to partion is

/tmp 2G
/swap 4G
/ -- rest of drive

--------------------------------

Plesk is a wonderfull piece of software when it works!!

Lata
Rickjr

I found that it works flawlessly with Centos 3
I have a box running Plesk with Debian - it was a bit of a challenge getting it working but I got there in the end.

I agree - plesk is great once you get the initial setup out of the way.

IMO it works best on RHEL or CENTOS.

Yeah I have to second that, CentOS4 has been a fantastic platform to work with. Its like RH9 in that it doesn't change much, so if you're running a lot of them, you really cut down on system maintenance overhead.

The other advantage is the CentOS people have an [extras] channel like Fedora, where they expiriment with more advanced components, like newer kernels or packages like php. So you get the advantages of a 5 year support cycle, and the more modern features.

I want to third that!
I have two servers running CentOS4, and they have been rock solid so far.

Im Glad to see people are getting plesk to run rocksolid on diffrent platforms, because its definitly a challenge to setup on certian versions of linux/*nix.

I just want to create an awareness of what works and what didnt work from a initial install of plesk 7.5.4.

If more people would post thier experiences with installation - platform - and setup.. (failures vs. sucess) we can nip these problems right in the but from the beging.

Ive been using plesk since 2.0, my father had ends with the development team before they became sw-soft. We need more treads like this to help newbies, because i hope one day we all can find documentation that fits are needs.

cheers!
Rickjr

I have it running on FreeBSD 5.3, though I've spent some time installing / reinstalling to make sure I understood the process.

Here's what I did:

Install FreeBSD 5.3 with more or less default partitions (I always make / and /var larger than the default).

Edit Kernel to support quotas and whatever else is needed.

Remove current perl version via pkg_delete

Install Perl 5.8.7 (there is now a KB article on this at http://kb.swsoft.com/article_17_1091_en.html

Update the rest of my ports collection.

Install the following from ports:

Install gnupg (/usr/ports/security/gnupg)
Install lynx (/usr/ports/www/lynx-ssl)
Install unzip (/usr/ports/archivers/unzip)
Install wget (/usr/ports/ftp/wget)
Install ncftp (/usr/ports/ftp/ncftp3)
Install curl (/usr/ports/ftp/curl)

Launch CPAN (perl -MCPAN -e shell) and configure it.

Install Bundle::CPAN

install Getopt::Long File::Copy Digest::Nilsimsa URI::Escape Net::ping Digest::MD5 Digest::SHA1 Digest::HMAC HTML::parser HTML::Tagset IO::Stringy MIME::Base64 Mail::Internet MIME::Entity Net::DNS Time::HiRes Mail::Audit Mail::pOP3Client Cwd File::Spec DB_File Term::ANSIColor Pod::Man Digest::BubbleBabble ExtUtils::MakeMaker Pod::Usage Net::SMTP Net::Ident Text::Iconv LWP Crypt::SSLeay HTML::Template

Install Plesk.

This should get you up and running with only a handful of bugs (the mailman GID bug being the ugliest).

FreeBSD 5.4

I just spent the last couple of days installing 7.5.4 on FreeBSD 5.4. It went smoother than I thought it would ... I have been using (and still use) Plesk 6 for the last couple of years.

1. Had to revert to Perl 5.8.7 before installing, which was pretty easy (set CVSup to grab a ports snapshot from early February)

2. Installer worked fine. but initially could not add domains - would get an rndc error every time. Turns out Named wasn't running / starting up. Adding Named directives to rc.conf fixed this problem (http://kb.swsoft.com/article_20_971_en.html)

3. Killed DrWeb from starting up by commenting out lines in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/psa.sh and /usr/local/psa/rc.d/psa.sh

4. The rest of the setup has been mostly outside of Plesk (DNS, mirroring etc ..)

Thats it.

I'm quite impressed with how solid things are running. My Plesk 6 box has been running for like 300+ days without a reboot (lots of bandaids though)... so far 7.5.4 on FreeBSD 5.4 seems even more stable ... and all the minor annoyances of 6 are gone.

Yeah

This is really interesting... Back before I need Plesk in a production enviornment.. I was testing on FreeBSD and yeah I guess due to my experience in *nix systems I had lots of trouble, alot of what has been described! But atleast I can say I learn't a lot aswell! So it was a good thing! Thats what testings for right ;) ... anyway.. after deciding to stick with RH 9.0 .. and a few issues at the start .. in regard to BIND and some IP address problems I got things stable and it has been really good! I learnt to upgrade the kernel.. which was the fix for my BIND problem.. and well all other things sorted out! But yes many hours go into it and now I realise (I am running Reloaded 7.5.4) that to upgrade to 8.0 I need a new OS! I am turning toward CentOS.. Is this a good move? from what I read here.. it sounds like it! :D But I need to know is it easy or will I have problems, I have been using Symantec Ghost to keep a backup of my entire production server.. in the case of worst possible failure! And yeah. Thats my two cents on this.. I post somewhere else for some help on CentOS because I think I might need it! :rolleyes:

Back