• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Plesk Spamassasin(PSA) and Mailenable

hostking

Regular Pleskian
Hi guys,

Currently I have Mailenable Professional and enabled mail filters within in it called:

Spamassassin, Mail Antivirus filter.

I did use and purchase Jam Software Spamassassin and works very well but customers have no control in using that like blacklisting and whitelisting etc.

I would like to switch to Plesk PSA - basically the one integrated with Plesk hence I disabled Jam Spamassassin service and trying to integrate Plesk's Spamassasin with Mailenable. I installed it via Tools and Extensions and enabled it globally but it does not work it seems as if I click check Spamassassin test in mailenable it does not work.

How do I get it to work properly?

Hi,

Can you please send a screenshot of spamassassin configuration under Tools&Settings -> Spam Filter and headers of test email message.

Thanks in advance.

Morning Hostking,

As far as I'm aware the Plesk Spamassassin addon is an on demand service and operates via Plesk MTA. It bypasses (or triggers before) the SpamAssassin filter in MailEnable. As such you cant test it because it's only active when mail is in the MTA and even more annoyingly you can't use the option in MailEnable to bypass spamassassin for authenticated users meaning your users sending mail out via your server will be checked by spamassassin and have their emails labelled as spam before it even arrives at its destination. I have posted about this before but no one had any answers. https://talk.plesk.com/threads/spamassassin-disable-for-authenticated-senders.338207/

And then like you say when you disable Plesk Spamassassin you lose the Mail Settings options for other restrictions like I posted here https://talk.plesk.com/threads/spam-settings-not-available.338419/#post-803807

Thanks and yes seems you are right PeteSDG.
I got it working perfectly and its blocking spam but internal emails are being marked with SPAM and mailenable tests don't work. But atleast its working.

Where are the spam rating logs located on windows plesk servers? Anyone have an idea? Would like to see what rules are hit. Also not sure if clamav is working with mailenable and plesk(PSA) or if I am forced to purchase Kaspersky or Odin AV from Plesk.

@hostking ClamAV will work perfectly and it does a brilliant job too, we haven't had any complaints from clients. We have it installed on two of our mailservers with Plesk, just don't install a Plesk AV option also otherwise it will take up more resources than needed. Enable the ClamAV option in MailEnable > Servers > Localhost > Extensions > Message Filter > Double click MailEnable Antivirus Filter and configure from there. Make sure the filter has the status of Enabled after.

Then in MailEnable > Messaging Manager > Filters > Create New Filter > Name it (we called ours "Contains Virus") > Edit Filter > Use Standard Criteria > Select and Enable "Where the message contains a virus" > Add Action > Delete message.

Hope it helps.

I think it's such a shame that Plesk SA can't be configured to ignore authenticated senders. If you use your server for client hosting then be prepared for a few complaints when they try sending emails. We had so many that we had to disable Plesk SA and install JAM's version (really easy to install and integrate by the way).

Thanks. I noticed when we have PSA and even ordered the Premium Odin AV and it works but we get tons of complaints of spam. We went back to JAM Software version we used to us and clamav and its far better.

Does anyone know if the authentication senders ignoring issue is resolved in the new version of plesk onyx?

Back