• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk suddenly prompts for database password

stonegate

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

we use CentOS Linux 7.0.1406 (Core) with Plesk Version 12.0.18 Update #27.

We have the following problem:

When a user clicks on a database in his account and tries to login with phpmyadmin, Plesk prompts for a Password of that specific user. The message is (in german):

Code:
Die Seite auf https://.......:8443 meldet:

Geben Sie das Passwort ein, um sich als Datenbankbenutzer xxxxxx anzumelden.

Translated:

Code:
The site https://........:8443 responded with:

Enter the password to log in as the database user xxxxxx

When i enter the correct password a new phpmyadmin window opens and the user can use his database.
A few days ago you didnt have to enter a password at all. When you were logged into Plesk as a user, you could just click "Databases -> Webadmin" and phpmyadmin opened up without Plesk asking for a password.

The question for the password is NOT coming from phpmyadmin. Its from Plesk itself. After i enter the correct password plesk hands the request over to PMA.

For debugging i created a new database for a user and i could enter its database without any problem. No password was required. But the existing old databases now all require a password. So obviously Plesk is not aware of these passwords anymore. I guess they are/were stored somewhere.

Would be great if someone could help on that. One of my plesk server customers told me he has the same issue after he updated his server to update #27 - but i can not confirm that so far. Maybe update 27 did something wrong ?

Best Regards
Stoney

Hi stonegate,

you could try the command "mysqlcheck -r -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` psa" , in order to check, repair and optimize the psa - database and it's tables.

While you are at this, you could as well do this for all databases on your server "mysqlcheck -r -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` --auto-repair --optimize --all-databases"

In some cases your MySQL tables might have crashed ( you could review this issues in your MySQL - Log ) and this could result in issues/failures/problems and even in inconsistent databases. As well, previous updates/upgrades might be a cause of such an issue, but to investigate the "real" cause, you have to provide update/upgrade-logs and as well corresponding MySQL - logs, to answer your question, what might have gone wrong. For Plesk it might help as well to use the bootstrapper repair, which repairs quite a lot of issues/failures:

/usr/local/psa/bootstrapper/pp12.0.18-bootstrapper/bootstrapper.sh repair

To be sure that all latest patches were installed correctly, you can always use the command:

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --install-component base

You don't need to guess, if an update/patch might be the cause of an issue, because the change-log always points to the changes:

If an issue appears, it doesn't always point to the latest update/patch, you just might not have noticed your issue before, because the situation wasn't met, that caused your issue.
Most issues can be investigated by checking the depending error - logs and/or depending configuration - files. Even that a description could as well help, it is far easier with the depending log - entries, to investigate and solve issues. Please have a closer look at:

... to inform yourself about the several paths and locations. You could as well consider changing the log - levels to a debug - level in some case, to get some more detaiilled informations about an issue/failure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there,

i tried the repair Command and it gives me:

The storage engine for the table doesn't support repair

for all tables.

Best Regards
Stoney

Hi,

thanks for the Link however i fear of just trying all kind of things now and destroying something other instead while the original issue will not be fixed by my attempts.

best
Stonegate

Old thread.. but we came across this recently when importing sites from cpanel. Your database does not have a default user attached to it.

Click on user management

select the correct default user that you want phpmyadmin to use

tick the box "Use this users credentials..."

You should now be able to access phpmyadmin without a problem

Back