• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Plesk Support has told me my Backup Manager and Task Manager are being throttled by the UK ISPs

dillangandhi

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 10.8
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.50_build1800230213.12
I have the following issue, which only started happening last summer and hasn't been fixed yet:-
  • With no local backups and no remote storage set up, Backup Manager takes 7 to 11 seconds to load its main /admin/backup/ page. This used to be less than a second to load.
  • With local backups and/or remote storage connected to my Dropbox, Backup Manager now takes 68 to 101 seconds to load its main /admin/backup/ page regardless of how the backups are stored, and a further 84 to 112 seconds to load any individual backup regardless of its size. This used to take less than a second to load. There is no issue with storage space either, either locally or remotely.
  • Task Manager now takes 7 to 11 seconds to open. This used to take less than a second to load.
  • Every other page of my Plesk takes less than a second to load. It is only the above that is slow.
I pay for Plesk Support, and my support advisor (request 408763) has said that UK ISPs (in my case, Openreach 300mbps fibre and O2 5G via mobile hotspot) are specifically throttling Backup Manager and Task Manager to be slow in the UK.

I don't understand how or why this is - I have another Plesk server with Backup Manager connected to another Dropbox account and it doesn't have this issue - but the support advisor was able to load local backups and remotely stored Dropbox backups on my Plesk from in Switzerland in 6 seconds. So Plesk Support have marked my issues as Solved now and said UK ISP throttling is why.

Is anyone else in the UK experiencing this? Who do I even speak to about solving this matter? And how are the UK ISPs specifically throttling two features on Plesk and specifically my server?

I'm asking on here because I don't think I will get the answer from Plesk Support.

Hi @dillangandhi , is it correct that your backup only uses Dropbox through the Dropbox extension? Or is it an FTP/FTPs backup?
Yes remote storage is via the Dropbox extension.

Google Drive extension is also slow but I don’t normally use that, I was only seeing last week if it was also affected and it is.

Local server backups with no remote storage set up and not using any of the extensions is also slow.

I think that
Local server backups with no remote storage set up and not using any of the extensions is also slow.
is missing from the ticket. Maybe you need to reopen it. Local backups and restore should by very fast.

Back