• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Plesk Update Failed

Erico Morais

New Pleskian
Hy!

One of our servers is unable to update its Plesk installation. I tried running "plesk installer update" manually and I keep getting the same error message (code 1603). The screenshot containing the whole message has been attached to this post.

How can I fix this?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 0.png
    0.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 21
Usually, this error occurs when Antivirus software interferes with upgrade/install procedure.
Temporarily disable the antivirus software.

Thanks for your feedback, Igor! I'm afraid that didn't solve it. I disabled MSE resident protection and run "plesk installer update" again, same error popped up (new screenshot attached).

I'm not sure if this helps but here's the full error seen in Plesk's log:

Code:
Execution failed.
Command: ai.exe
Arguments: Array
(
   [0] => --select-product-id
   [1] => panel
   [2] => --select-release-current
   [3] => --upgrade-installed-components
)

Details: ERROR: The installation of the package 'webdeploy' failed with code 1603. (upgrade: Upgrading Microsoft Web Deploy...)
Not all packages were installed.
Please contact product technical support.

This is a Windows 2012 (non-R2) Standard box.

We upgraded this server from Plesk 12.5 to Plesk Onyx back in July 28th and its last successful update was in July 30th. We did see the error 1603 during the upgrade but everything appeared to be running fine afterwards, so we never looked at this issue again until recently when we realized this server's Plesk updates haven't been working. Everything else is working great though.

Thank you!

Attachments

• plesk.png
    plesk.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 1
Actually, code 1603 is not the reason for the problem but just information that something went wrong. For searching the real reason, you have to check related records in autoinstaller3.log which can be found in C:\ParallelsInstaller\ or here C:\ProgramData\Plesk\Installer\

Thanks! That error 1603 shows up after a more verbose message, which is a Fatal Error from WebDeploy's MSI installer. I'm attaching here the segment of the autoinstaller3.log file at the point where the error occurred during the upgrade back in July.

That "WebDeploy_amd64_en-US.msi" file is still located in the specified path. Should I run it manually? I assume that way we'd get a clearer error message instead of plain "Failed to Install".

Appreciated!

Attachments

• 0.png
    0.png
    71 KB · Views: 4
Unfortunately, there is not enough information. Need to look upper in the log. It will be better if you attach this log here and we will see for ourselves.

The log file size over 230MB, so I trimmed entries older than a year and zipped it. It's still too large for this forum upload tool and it won't let me send it as an LZMA compressed XZ file, so here's the link for the zip file on Firefox Send instead (3.1MB compressed):

Firefox Send

Thanks!

Last edited:
Those instructions don't seem to apply to Windows 2012, but I Googled around how to unregister and register VBScript.dll (which is what is the proposed solution in that link). So I ran "regsvr32 /U %windir%/syswow64/vbscript.dll" to unregister and then "regsvr32 %windir%/syswow64/vbscript.dll" to register the DLL back again. This process went fine but Plesk is still unable to update, the error is still the same:

Code:
[2019-10-07 23:40:15.504233] Package action: InstallMsiPackage, package: webdeploy, exec time: 37 sec. desc: file='C:\ParallelsInstaller\parallels\PANEL-WIN_17.8.11\thirdparty-windows-x86_64\WebDeploy_amd64_en-US.msi', command-line='ADDLOCAL=ALL ALLUSERS=1 REBOOT=R'
[2019-10-07 23:40:15.504233] Failed to install 'C:\ParallelsInstaller\parallels\PANEL-WIN_17.8.11\thirdparty-windows-x86_64\WebDeploy_amd64_en-US.msi': Fatal error during installation. (Error code 1603)
Action '<install-msi-package command-line="ADDLOCAL=ALL ALLUSERS=1 REBOOT=R" />' failed with error 1603(0x00000643)
Error: The installation of the package 'webdeploy' failed with code 1603. (upgrade: Upgrading Microsoft Web Deploy...)
Not all packages were installed.
Please contact product technical support.

I'm attaching below both the new log file (all entries created by this latest upgrade attempt) as well as the "MSIExec" output (as recommended in that KB Article included in the link you provided under "
Method 1: Determine whether the Windows Installer engine is working"). No error was displayed, all I get is that "Window Installer" window.

Thanks!

Attachments

• plesk.zip
    73.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 0.png
    0.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 2
Hi,

You fixed x32 vbscript.dll version. Please do the same for x64 one:

regsvr32 /U %windir%/system32/vbscript.dll
regsvr32 %windir%/system32/vbscript.dll

Thanks for your input, Aleksey!

Sorry about that, I had followed this article found after a quick Google search (Register VBScript.dll - SiMX) and it claims that the VBscript.dll located at system32 is for 32 bits Windows only, that's why I had run the other one instead (located at "syswow64"). It looks like that article is incorrect then.

Anyhow, I just ran "regsvr32 /U %windir%/system32/vbscript.dll" followed by "regsvr32 %windir%/system32/vbscript.dll" as you pointed out, both commands were ran with Admin privileges and ran fine but nothing changed regarding Plesk Updater, I'm still getting the same error message.

Attachments

• 0.png
    0.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 2
Sorry it took me a few days, I can't always schedule a maintenance windows for this server.

Anyway, it didn't work either. I ran "regsvr32 scrrun.dll" in CMD as Administrator, the dll was registered successfully but "plesk installer update" still returns the very same error. :/

Thanks for your input, Aleksey!

Sorry about that, I had followed this article found after a quick Google search (Register VBScript.dll - SiMX) and it claims that the VBscript.dll located at system32 is for 32 bits Windows only, that's why I had run the other one instead (located at "syswow64"). It looks like that article is incorrect then.

Anyhow, I just ran "regsvr32 /U %windir%/system32/vbscript.dll" followed by "regsvr32 %windir%/system32/vbscript.dll" as you pointed out, both commands were ran with Admin privileges and ran fine but nothing changed regarding Plesk Updater, I'm still getting the same error message.

Many thankssssss. This's i need now

The log file size over 230MB, so I trimmed entries older than a year and zipped it. It's still too large for this forum upload tool and it won't let me send it as an LZMA compressed XZ file, so here's the link for the zip file on Firefox Send instead (3.1MB compressed):

Thanks!
I disabled MSE resident protection and run "plesk installer update" again, same error popped up (new screenshot attached).

Back