• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk Webmail SMTP Error (250), Authentication Failed

mdixon18

New Pleskian
I'm very much new to Plesk which is in this case installed on CentOS 6 and Plesk Version 12.0.18.

Basically, I initially had trouble where everytime i tried to load webmail.domain.tld i would have a DNS error, I've resolved this by correcting the DNS settings on my domain and now i can login to the webmail and recieve emails. Now, whether i use Horde or Roundcube i get this authentication error for my SMTP. I'm very new to this stuff and i'm not sure where my log files are or what the issue could be or even how to fix it.

Can anybody make some suggestions and get me going onto the next step of fixing this,

Thank you,

Matt.

Try to find something useful from mail and webmail logs - http://kb.parallels.com/en/111283

[26-Jun-2014 12:03:24 +0200]: SMTP Error: SMTP error: Authentication failure: SMTP server does not support authentication (Code: ) in /usr/share/psa-roundcube/program/lib/Roundcube/rcube.php on line 1497 (POST /roundcube/?_task=mail&_unlock=loading1403777086239&_lang=en_GB?_task=mail&_action=send)

Do you have local IP in the While List? Try to remove it.

I removed the SMTP user and password which stopped this error but now i get something like this:

SMTP Error (554): Failed to add recipient "[email protected]" (5.7.1 <[email protected]>: Relay access denied).

Here is my SMTP configuation:

// For example %n = mail.domain.tld, %t = domain.tld
$config['smtp_server'] = 'localhost';

// SMTP port (default is 25; use 587 for STARTTLS or 465 for the
// deprecated SSL over SMTP (aka SMTPS))
$config['smtp_port'] = 25;

// SMTP username (if required) if you use %u as the username Roundcube
// will use the current username for login
$config['smtp_user'] = '';

// SMTP password (if required) if you use %p as the password Roundcube
// will use the current user's password for login
$config['smtp_pass'] = '';

// SMTP AUTH type (DIGEST-MD5, CRAM-MD5, LOGIN, PLAIN or empty to use
// best server supported one)
$config['smtp_auth_type'] = '';

// Optional SMTP authentication identifier to be used as authorization proxy
$config['smtp_auth_cid'] = null;

// Optional SMTP authentication password to be used for smtp_auth_cid
$config['smtp_auth_pw'] = null;

// SMTP HELO host
// Hostname to give to the remote server for SMTP 'HELO' or 'EHLO' messages
// Leave this blank and you will get the server variable 'server_name' or
// localhost if that isn't defined.
$config['smtp_helo_host'] = '';

// SMTP connection timeout, in seconds. Default: 0 (use default_socket_timeout)
// Note: There's a known issue where using ssl connection with
// timeout > 0 causes connection errors (https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=54511)
$config['smtp_timeout'] = 0;

// SMTP socket context options
// See http://php.net/manual/en/context.ssl.php
// The example below enables server certificate validation, and
// requires 'smtp_timeout' to be non zero.
// $config['smtp_conn_options'] = array(
// 'ssl' => array(
// 'verify_peer' => true,
// 'verify_depth => 3,
// 'cafile' => '/etc/openssl/certs/ca.crt',
// ),
// );
$config['smtp_conn_options'] = null;

Hello.

could you solve your problem?, I feel the same, will not let me send emails, SMTP me a 250 error. Please can you tell me how you solved the error.

Thank you.

Same here. With the VPS under plesk 11.5 everything worked out of the box, reimaged the VPS with Plesk 12 - SMTP Error on sending in Roundcube.

It looks like that roundcube was not upgraded successfully. Autoinstaller log should be investigated for determining of possible reasons. Try to fix it with bootstrapper repair at least.
You may also try to remove all SMTP settings in /usr/share/psa-roundcube/config/config.inc.php (all $config['smtp* lines)

Same problem here... no solution yet ! Could you help me please ?! I just create a domain, then an email and it's always Error (250) with roundcube...

I have nothing in confing.inc.php except :
$config = array();
$config['db_dsnw'] = 'mysql://roundcube:6G6mODgi9Dg0w7@localhost/roundcubemail';

I have exactly same problem on Plesk 12.0.18 Update #13.

Roundcube can't send emails (SMTP error 250).

I purchased VPS with Plesk 12 a month ago.

I have another VPS with Plesk 11.5 and roundcube works fine.

What is settings of "Relaying" option in Home>Tools & Settings>Mail Server Settings?

Try to check your current authentication methods of mail server with

# telnet localhost 25

and then

EHLO localhost

You should see something like:

250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN DIGEST-MD5

Igor,

Thanks for your reply!

1. In "Mail Server Settings":
[ ] closed
[x] authorization is required:
[ ] POP3 before SMTP lock time
[x] SMTP

# telnet localhost 25
Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 xxxxxx.ovh.net ESMTP Postfix
EHLO localhost
250-xxxxxx.ovh.net
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-XFORWARD NAME ADDR PROTO HELO SOURCE PORT IDENT
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN

Do you have line

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes

in /etc/postfix/main.cf ?

Do you have line

in /etc/postfix/main.cf ?
No, this line didn't exist in main.cf file.

I added this line:
and restarted Postfix.

Regrettably it doesn't help.

P.S. Also I can't send emails from Mozilla Thunderbird.

Please include the complete file "etc/postfix/main.cf" and the file "etc/postfix/master.cf" as quotes or attachments, for further investigations.

Thanks, I attached both files.

P.S. name of VPS server and IP address are changed.

Attachments

• postfix.zip
    11.2 KB · Views: 8
in master.cf you have got:
Code:
#submission inet n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
plesk_saslauthd unix y y n - 1 plesk_saslauthd status=5 listen=6 dbpath=/var/spool/postfix/plesk/passwd.db

My "with no problem working" config for master.cf has these settings:
Code:
submission inet n - - - - smtpd -o smtpd_enforce_tls=yes -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject -o smtpd_sender_restrictions=
plesk_saslauthd unix y y y - 1 plesk_saslauthd status=5 listen=6 dbpath=/var/spool/postfix/plesk/passwd.db

Your actual main.cf contains these settings:
Code:
#myhostname = host.domain.tld
mydestination = localhost.$mydomain, localhost, localhost.localdomain
#smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name ($mail_version)
smtpd_milters = , inet:127.0.0.1:12768

My "with no problem working" config for main.cf has these settings:
Code:
myhostname = My_fully_qualified_hostname_for_my_server.tld [COLOR="#FF0000"]( changed for security reasons for this forum, please use "hostname" over the console to get yours, or see  )[/COLOR]
mydestination = $mydomain, localhost, localhost.localdomain [COLOR="#FF0000"]( there are several ways for this line, please use the one, that suits you best! )[/COLOR]
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu) [COLOR="#FF0000"]( "$myhostname" ist a necessary config in this line, the rest might as well look like this: smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name ($mail_version) - please choose what suits you best! )[/COLOR]
smtpd_milters = ,, inet:127.0.0.1:12768
non_smtpd_milters = 
milter_default_action = accept
milter_protocol = 6 [COLOR="#FF0000"]( the milter protocol "6" is used, because I use SPF-config on my mail-servers, but it should not harm your mail-server, if you don't have SPF-entries and still use this! If you would like more informations about SPF, please choose to open another thread for this. )[/COLOR]

I hope I didn't forget something... we will see that, after your changes on YOUR system and a restart of postfix ( "service postfix restart" ). If you did the changes and a restart and still experience problems, please include the maillog or/and other usefull logs ( Parallels Plesk Panel for Linux services logs and configuration files ( KB article 111283 ) ) with your description, for further investigations. ^^

UFHH01,

Thanks for your help!

Regrettably it didn't help.
roundcube still shows same 250 error. The log file file contains 2 lines
Aug 21 21:19:08 vpsxxxxx postfix/smtpd[24745]: connect from localhost[::1]
Aug 21 21:19:08 vpsxxxxx postfix/smtpd[24745]: disconnect from localhost[::1]

But I see some changes. Now when I try to send email in Thunderbird with 587 STARTTLS Protected password, Thunderbird asked me for a password but doesn't accept it.

I also tried with 25 port, no protection, open password. Another error.

See log, please.

Attachments

• maillog.zip
    773 bytes · Views: 1
Please be sure, that you use not only the username, but the FULL eMail - address ( [email protected] ) when you login and be sure, that the domain is as well integrated in Plesk and as well activated.

Second, you might use the command:
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk --without-spam
... because this is often solving some problems.

Afterwards, if you still experience some problems, please refer to IgorG's commands:
telnet localhost 25
and then
EHLO localhost
... paste what you see there, please.

Another solution might be, that the path to the passwd.db in your master.cf is wrong. Please make sure, that "passwd.db" is really located, where the settings are pointing to:
plesk_saslauthd unix y y n - 1 plesk_saslauthd status=5 listen=6 dbpath=/var/spool/postfix/plesk/passwd.db

Back