• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Plesk wil not start

Two things here:

Did you see, that the last mentioned KB has as well another link, which might be helpfull?
I tried the solution described in http://kb.odin.com/120061 but it did not help.
Did you try to continue with the other commands in the suggested KB - article, after you got the message, that there is already a similar entry?

Ok... I would suggest some re-installation ( no worries, this is just to make sure, that some packages are installed successfully ):

Please do the following commands:

Got to "/etc/apt" and edit the file "sources.list" - - - Add the line: deb http://autoinstall.plesk.com/debian/PSA_12.0.18 wheezy all

Now we are going to clean some apt-get cache and update/upgrade to the most recent versions:

sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

( if you experience failures, please save it in a text - file for a next post here, but please still continue with the next commands )

Now we are going to re-install some Plesk - packages:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall plesk sw-cp-server sw-engine psa-zendframework

( if you experience failures, please save it in a text - file for a next post here, but please still continue with the next commands )

Afterwards, please try the bootstrapper repair again and restart all services ( psa / apache2 / nginx/ ) ... finally report issues/problems/failures from the above commands and from the bootstrapper - log, like you did before.

The first command has been successfully.
But in contrast, in the second order i encountered two problems

First it does not found plesk package
sudo apt-get install --reinstall plesk sw-sw-cp-server engine-psa zendframework

Second i remove the plesk control to continue so i type:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall sw-sw-cp-server engine-psa zendframework

And in this part i had an error in sw-cp-server and ngnix
Error:
Code:
Préparation du remplacement (Prepare replacement) de sw-cp-server 2.0.5-201405151702.debian70 (en utilisant (Using) .../sw-cp-server_2.0.5-201405151702.debian70_amd64.deb) ...
Dépaquetage (Unpacking) de la mise à jour de sw-cp-server ...
nginx: the configuration file /etc/sw-cp-server/config syntax is ok
nginx: [emerg] getpwnam("sw-cp-server") failed
nginx: configuration file /etc/sw-cp-server/config test failed
invoke-rc.d: initscript sw-cp-server, action "upgrade" failed.

sorry.... my fault.... plesk should be "psa".

öhm.... the other packages - names are absolut correct... I list it for you separately:

psa
sw-cp-server
sw-engine
psa-zendframework

Please add "sw-nginx" as well to that list to be reinstalled.

If one of the packages are not found by apt-get... please perform a search for it with: apt-cache search NAME_OF_THE_PACKAGE

... and continue with the bootstrapper afterwards and the mentioned restarts of the services.

The command is executed (apt-get install --reinstall psa sw-cp-server sw-engine psa-zendframework sw-nginx), but still the same error on sw-cp-server and ngnix
Code:
Préparation du remplacement (Prepare replacement) de sw-cp-server 2.0.5-201405151702.debian70 (en utilisant (Using) .../sw-cp-server_2.0.5-201405151702.debian70_amd64.deb) ...
Dépaquetage (Unpacking) de la mise à jour de sw-cp-server ...
nginx: the configuration file /etc/sw-cp-server/config syntax is ok
nginx: [emerg] getpwnam("sw-cp-server") failed
nginx: configuration file /etc/sw-cp-server/config test failed
invoke-rc.d: initscript sw-cp-server, action "upgrade" failed.

Please check again "plesk_12.0.18_repair.log" for errors/failures... if you don't find anything, please post the entire log as an attachment to your post please.

Please post as well errors from "/var/log/sw-cp-server/error_log"

Last edited by a moderator:
"/var/log/sw-cp-server/error_log"
Code:
root@userX:~# cat /var/log/sw-cp-server/error_log
2014/11/02 15:51:08 [emerg] 51543#0: getpwnam("sw-cp-server") failed
2014/11/02 15:51:08 [emerg] 51544#0: getpwnam("sw-cp-server") failed
2014/11/02 15:51:32 [emerg] 51818#0: getpwnam("sw-cp-server") failed
2014/11/02 15:51:32 [emerg] 51819#0: getpwnam("sw-cp-server") failed
2014/11/02 15:58:56 [emerg] 52540#0: getpwnam("sw-cp-server") failed
2014/11/02 15:58:56 [emerg] 52541#0: getpwnam("sw-cp-server") failed
2014/11/02 17:17:10 [emerg] 61498#0: getpwnam("sw-cp-server") failed
2014/11/02 17:17:10 [emerg] 61499#0: getpwnam("sw-cp-server") failed
2014/11/02 20:07:19 [emerg] 63879#0: getpwnam("sw-cp-server") failed
2014/11/02 20:07:19 [emerg] 63880#0: getpwnam("sw-cp-server") failed
2014/11/02 20:07:51 [emerg] 64340#0: getpwnam("sw-cp-server") failed
2014/11/02 20:07:51 [emerg] 64341#0: getpwnam("sw-cp-server") failed
2014/11/02 20:20:33 [emerg] 846#0: getpwnam("sw-cp-server") failed
2014/11/02 20:20:33 [emerg] 847#0: getpwnam("sw-cp-server") failed
2014/11/02 21:23:45 [emerg] 1645#0: getpwnam("sw-cp-server") failed
2014/11/02 21:23:46 [emerg] 1646#0: getpwnam("sw-cp-server") failed

"/var/log/plesk/install/plesk_12.0.18_repair_problems.log"
Code:
START Bootstrapper 12.0.18 repair AT Sat Nov  1 03:02:16 CET 2014
*****  problem report *****
ERROR while trying to store APS controller db connection parameters into product db
Check the error reason(see log file: /var/log/plesk/install/plesk_12.0.18_repair.log), fix and try again
STOP Bootstrapper 12.0.18 repair AT Sat Nov  1 03:02:19 CET 2014: PROBLEMS FOUND

"/var/log/plesk/install/plesk_12.0.18_repair.log"

I could not put all the contents of the file as there was some info senssible
Code:
Trying to set psa database version to 012000018... done
===> Cumulative upgrade and repair of Plesk database (revertable stage) has been completed.
Database is up-to-date
===> Cumulative Plesk upgrade and repair (final stage) has been started.
Upgrade or repair for 'core' (stage 'post') is not required
===> Preparing Plesk upgrade (final stage).
===> Cumulative upgrade and repair of Plesk (final stage) has been completed.
Trying to upgrade and repair Courier-IMAP services configuration (prep stage)... Upgrade or repair for 'courier_imap' (stage 'prep') is not required
done
Trying to upgrade and repair Courier-IMAP services configuration (post stage)... Upgrade or repair for 'courier_imap' (stage 'post') is not required
done
Trying to upgrade and repair Courier-IMAP services configuration (bootstrapper-post stage)... Upgrade or repair for 'courier_imap' (stage 'bootstrapper-post') is not required
done
Trying to condrestart service courier-imapd... done
Trying to condrestart service courier-imaps... done
Trying to condrestart service courier-pop3d... done
Trying to condrestart service courier-pop3s... done
Trying to upgrade and repair Parallels Premium antivirus (DrWeb) service configuration (bootstrapper-prep stage)... Upgrade or repair for 'drweb' (stage 'bootstrapper-prep') is not required
done
Trying to upgrade and repair Parallels Premium antivirus (DrWeb) service configuration (bootstrapper-post stage)... Upgrade or repair for 'drweb' (stage 'bootstrapper-post') is not required
done
Reconfiguring mail subsystem...
/opt/psa/version isn't yet on its place. Deferring mail_restore execution to a later stage
Reconfiguring Apache web server...
Reconfiguring ProFTPD FTP server...
Reconfiguring AWStats web statistics...
Reconfiguring WatchDog...
Restoring SELinux contexts...
Regenerating web servers' configuration files...
Cleaning active Panel sessions...

Bootstrapper repair finished.
If problems persist, please check installer logs ('/var/log/plesk/install/plesk_12.0.18_repair.log' and '/var/log/plesk/install/plesk_12.0.18_repair_problems.log') for errors.
If you can't resolve the issue on your own, please address Parallels support.

**** Product repair completed successfully.

STOP Bootstrapper 12.0.18 repair AT Sun Nov  2 22:24:32 CET 2014

I understand that you mind posting sensitive informations, but please don't leave out the whole part then and just XXX the sensitive part.

As you can see at the moment, the users password for sw-cp-server can't be found and we should look for the reason why this happens, in order to solve this issue.

Sometimes it helps to remove and reinstall Plesk packages, so you could list your components with the command:

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --show-components

You now have a list of all packages. Please try to install at least one or more packages, or even all packages ( you might remove them later without any problems - and even changing from postfix to qmail is no problem, because you can easily change it back as well ) with the command:

/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --install-component PACKAGE_NAME ( or: --install-everything )

... this will force Plesk to update the APS database and should resolve previous unfinished issues you might have.

Afterwards... and this is quite essential to help you... please add again issues/failures and log - entries as before, without the sensitive data ( just XXX them ), but please don't leave out whole parts. All installation, repair - logs and/or error - logs might help and asking for it does not only take YOUR time, but as well the time for the one who tries to help you - please keep that in mind. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, but i really can not understand the problem is firstly due to the fact that i do not understand English very well, and secondly because i not have a good level on linux.

I always have the same error, nothing has changed.

If i reinstall completely Plesk Panel, will i lose my databases and my web sites ?

Last edited:
Back