• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question POLL: CentOS 8 replacement before end 2021?

Will there be be a replacement for CentOS 8 before end 2021?

• YES ... there will be a good replacement before the end of 2021 (so you can keep using CentOS 8)

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • NO ... there will not be a replacement before the end of 2021 (so it's best to stop using CentOS 8)

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

Pleskie

Regular Pleskian
TIME FOR A POLL ... WHAT DO YOU THINK?

In addition to this thread.

In short: CentOS 8 is quitting and support will stop end 2021.

Do you think YES there will be a good replacement before the end of 2021 (e.g. Rocky Linux) or NO there will not be a replacement by then?

(In other words should we keep installing CentOS 8 on new servers, or should we better start looking for an alternative?)

Last edited:
For those people who vote(d). Of course, if you want to, you are allowed to give an explanation why you voted yes or no.

In fact there is no Question if there will be a suiteable replacement for Centos 8 by the end of 2021 ... as there is already one on the Market since Centos 6 ...

VzLinux / Virtuozzo Linux (RHEL based as Centos) Information: Do You Have an Alternative to CentOS? Virtuozzo Has You Covered With VzLinux!

In the past they were only available for Virtuozzo Customers as Container Templates, but now they also release them Bare Metal ... + they release Migrators from Centos 7 & 8 to Virtuozzo Linux 8 ... *hoorray* ;-)

The main reason why we prefer them over other RHEL Clones is that Virtuozzo is an known Company for many, many years ... so they know what they do + we know they won't fade away shortly as maybe some other RHEL Clones will ...

Side-Note: until 2017 Virtuozzo and Plesk were booth owned by the same company ... so they know each other pretty well :)

I recently started to transfer my vps to centos8 as there were a few issues with centos7 around mail, fail2ban and microsoft exchange supposedly solved by centos8.
And now I am hit with the *end of the road* for centos8 ... what we need is a stable linux and, as I use vps for self hosting/hobby it needs to be free (Its enough to pay for VPS including Plesk license!)

I'm hoping Rocky Linux will be the answer as it is intended to be a stable downstream compatible with Centos8 and I just did a quick test of the Rocky Beta ... fooling the Plesk installer to believe the OS was CentOS worked really well (Obviously not a fully scientific test but good enough to prove the theory that Plesk will work with minimal change).

So, there will be an alternative, I hope its Rocky Linux and also hope Plesk will support it.

Whether it be Rocky or Alma, it sounds like there might be some viable options out of the woods before the year is out yet!

I recently started to transfer my vps to centos8 as there were a few issues with centos7 around mail, fail2ban and microsoft exchange supposedly solved by centos8.
And now I am hit with the *end of the road* for centos8 ... what we need is a stable linux and, as I use vps for self hosting/hobby it needs to be free (Its enough to pay for VPS including Plesk license!)

I'm hoping Rocky Linux will be the answer as it is intended to be a stable downstream compatible with Centos8 and I just did a quick test of the Rocky Beta ... fooling the Plesk installer to believe the OS was CentOS worked really well (Obviously not a fully scientific test but good enough to prove the theory that Plesk will work with minimal change).

So, there will be an alternative, I hope its Rocky Linux and also hope Plesk will support it.
You know, that successor of CentOS 8 is Centos Stream, currently Centos 8 Stream ? It exists already, can be used. And as a rolling release, like SUSE Thumbleweed it will never ends, only got a new name sometimes.

You know, that successor of CentOS 8 is Centos Stream, currently Centos 8 Stream ? It exists already, can be used. And as a rolling release, like SUSE Thumbleweed it will never ends, only got a new name sometimes.
Not quite ...
CentOS Stream is a predecessor of RedHat, Centos 8 is downstream of RedHat.

That means updates coming from Fedora are applied pretty rapidly (sometimes daily) to to CentOS Stream.

Daily updates are difficult to manage with stability as something working one day, may work differently the next unless you choose to apply updates on less frequent timelines. (Bob chooses his on Tuesday & Friday, Jane does hers on the 2nd Wednesday in every month, Fred doesn't apply any updates .... I wonder which version of Plesk they will use?!)

RedHat decide their cutoff points in Stream for their updates by releases (so everyone one on RedHat has clearly defined levesl of update and it would give (for example) Plesk developers advanced notice and time to make sure their management software will still work.
CentOS 8, being downstream of RedHat, also has the stability of agreed and chosen releases.

A free replacement for CentOS 8 with support until at least 2029 is already available and working.

We don't have to wait any longer. It's already here. It requires a clean install of Plesk. First you install AlmaLinux and then Plesk afterwards.

Check my post:

VZLinux 8 was also released last week which should be a pretty good replacement for Centos as they got years of experience on this Topic ... ;-)

Check Posting: Input - Virtuozzo Linux (VZLinux) 8 - Supported OS

Ready-to-use conversion utility for simple and on-the-fly conversion from CentOS 8 to VzLinux 8 plus the possibility to convert CentOS 7 directly to VzLinux 8.

Back