• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Postfix correct your HELO

SalvadorS

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

I receive a mail from spamhaus tht one of our servers is listed. I received this:

Please correct your HELO 'xxx.localdomain' and if needed, configure your mail server with correct DNS (forward and reverse) and HELO/EHLO values. Correcting an invalid HELO or a HELO/forward DNS lookup mismatch will stop the IP from being listed again.

• HELO is a server setting, not DNS. It is used by an email server to identify itself when connecting to another email server, and is then followed with the sending email server's domain name.

Can anybody tell me how I can correct this? I don´t underestand why this setting in a fresh install of a server

Thank you

Hello,

hostname was ok, I execute this command:

hostnamectl set-hostname host.example.com

Where host.example.com is the name of the server and and fixed.

Have you tried to set the "Mail Server Settings" > "Outgoing Mail Mode" to "Send from domain IP addresses"? Other settings normally trigger that Spamhaus issue that you have described.

Hi Peter,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I used "Send from domain IP addresses" as a default in all the servers.

In that case there are two more aspects to check:
a) In your data center: Make sure that your server's IP has a PTR record, or called rDNS entry, at your data center, so that the IP address can be resolved to the host name your of your host. This is normally something that your data center needs to set for you in their routers. Some data centers include an option in their customer control panel, so that their customers can set the PTR entry themselves. Missing PTR entries lead to many issues with mail delivery and spam filters.
b) On your machine: Make sure that in /etc/hosts on your system the host name is correctly set and associated with the IP address(es) of your machine.

Dear Peter,

Thanks a lot again for your answer. Before we create a server we configure rDNS (we ask our datacenter to create it) and also /etc/hosts is ok with the IP and the name of the server.

Thanks a lot.

Hi, I and many others are having the same issue with postfix since the last update to plesk. It is time that someone looks closer into what went wrong with this update. Here are some issues that I have seen
1. The system stopped sending emails to domains hosted on the server. The messages in the maillog vary from "status=bounced (User unknown in virtual alias table)" to others having issues with authentication to "Connections not accepted from servers without a valid sender domain.alph754 Fix reverse DNS for 207.246.XXX.XX (in reply to MAIL FROM command" (despite having a valid rDNS record)
2. Trying to repair the plesk installation comes back with a "500: Plesk\Exception\Database"
3. Trying to restart the server from the plesk panel is a hit or miss. This never happened before.

Thanks for looking into this. There are a number of threads reporting issues with outgoing emails and Postfix and no clear answer.

Back