• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Postfix delivered via plesk_virtual service | nothing in Maildir

I am transferring users from an old server to a new one. In the old one I was using courier-imap and in the new, dovecot. I used the courier-dovecot-migrate.pl script to transform the Maildirs to dovecot.

For a period of time, I have messages delivered by Postfix that never reached the proper Maildir.

May 26 10:18:49 my-server postfix/pipe[31099]: C1CB912A9F6A: to=<[email protected]>, relay=plesk_virtual, delay=6.6, delays=3.9/0.01/0/2.7, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via plesk_virtual service)

But nothing appears in Maildir/new.

After changing the Spam Filter preferences on all my users on Plesk, I started to see these lines in /var/log/maillog

May 26 22:23:58 my-server dovecot: service=lda, [email protected], ip=[]. msgid=<CA+0YQgXcbc9wngVB0czZ5k7xm=OyvB3dD8+w_hKXnEV-wnjyqw@mail.gmail.com>: saved mail to INBOX

And messages started appearing in the proper Maildir.

Is it possible to recover those messages that were delivered by Postfix but not captured by dovecot lda? Where should I look for them?

As far as I know there is no second or hidden storage of such messages. If they are not stored in the Maildir structure, they are lost.

Thank you, Peter. I was assuming that it was the case, but I wanted to be sure.

Would it be any evidence on the logs about dovecot not running / placing the files in the proper directories? What should I look for?

What span filtering are you you using? If you’re using something like a Barracuda you may have an option to redeliver messages.

Back