• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Postfix master.cf edit persistent?

theSilent

New Pleskian
Hi,

based on this thread I am wondering what the latest status in on editing the postfix master.cf config under Plesk 12.5? Will changes get overwritten or not?
I did the change to enable plus addressing - and it works perfectly for now. I just don't know if I can safely use plus-address.

Thanks!

Hi theSilent,

configuration files from postfix ( main.cf + master.cf ) wil be edited by Plesk in case of possible updates/upgrades/patches, or when new domains are added over Plesk, which use possible mail - settings, configured with Plesk ( i.e. "Outgoing mail mode" )., therefore it is wise to keep a separate backup - file of your existing *.cf - files ( even that Plesk stores previous configuration files at "/var/lib/plesk/cfgmon/", when it changes them ). This situation can be very annoying if you have made manual changes, which should not be changed without an explicit note, but unfortunately, you have to live with it, when you decided to use a software which performs automatisms for you.

Tip/hint: We use "incron" ( => http://inotify.aiken.cz/ ) on our servers, to monitor directory and file changes, which is able to take immidiate actions ( i.e.: copy changed current directory/file immediately to a location of your choice, mail to root an emergency note ), in case of any changes. You could even choose the actions : move directory/file to *.backup_currrent_date => restore directory/file from previous backup - location => restart service(s) => mail emergency note to root that a restore took part . ;)

Thanks for the hint! I just set up incron to at least get notified whenever main.cf or master.cf change.
Still a pitty that we cannot really modify postfix config there ourselves :(

Hi theSilent,

as additional configuration, consider to set the mail - server - software on "hold", if you setup "automatic updates/upgrades" in your Plesk Control Panel. This will prevent possible package updates/upgrades with your package - manager, which is a good idea when you would like to guarantee a solid, stable, working mail - server. ;)

For Debian/Ubuntu - based systems examples:

echo "PACKAGE-NAME hold" | dpkg --set-selections
or
aptitude hold PACKAGE-NAME
or
apt-mark hold PACKAGE-NAME

For CentOS/RHEL - based systems examples:

Edit the file "/etc/yum.conf" and add :

exclude=PACKAGE-NAME1,PACKAGE-NAME2,PACKAGE-NAME3,PACKAGE-NAME-WHICH-INCLUDES-SEVERAL-PACKAGE-NAMES-STARTING-WITH-PHP-FOR-EXAMPLE*

Good idea, I will keep that in mind. But for now I will just monitor any changes of the files.
For example: I just enabled port 587 in plesk - which touched both files master.cf and main.cf. But my changes are still there. So Plesk does not always rewrite the whole file. So it might be rather persistent after all - maybe with the exception of upgrades but I will see.

Back