1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

postfix-queue / Queue file write error is still happening

Discussion in 'Plesk 9.x for Linux Issues, Fixes, How-To' started by ChristopheP, Apr 17, 2010.

1. ChristopheP

ChristopheP Guest

Hi,

I reported this error in 9.0 , 9.2 and and 9.3 and it was supposed to be fixed in 9.5.

Unfortunatly it's still happening on my server, even if I got half less than before, I still get some and angry customers.

I can provide a network capture of the SMTP conversations that are crashing postfix-queue. I will only mail them to dev as there could be sensitive infos.

2. IgorG

IgorG Forums Analyst Staff Member

24%
    Any details, samples, error logs, steps to reproduce? I can't send request to developers without details.

3. ChristopheP

ChristopheP Guest

Hi,

As I said I will only send traces to devs by email as they could contain sensitive data. I have a wireshark trace for you, that will help devs to troubleshoot.

Regards

4. andreyb

andreyb Guest

This problem occurs very rarely in the 9.5.

5. ChristopheP

ChristopheP Guest

If 200+ alert per day and per server is rare ....

6. charliem

charliem Guest

Well here is a thing, about 100 times a day I get an email from the server telling me a message was not delivered to one of my customers due to a "queue file write error". That's it! If you can't go to your developers for that then rest assured, I can go to CPanel!

7. ChristopheP

ChristopheP Guest

It went worst this night : thousands of queue file write errors in m mailbox.

I proposed devs a network capture of SMTP streams but it looks like they are not interested ....

8. charliem

charliem Guest

You should see the response I got from igor when I mentioned it in my recent thread about greylisting. Don't think anyone is really interested. I'm certainly going to bring these responses to the attention of thousands of internet professionals. Blatantly calling me a liar in public is utterly unacceptable. Refusing to address the main issue of the post is astounding!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2010
  9. ChristopheP

ChristopheP Guest

Hello Plesk team : are you interested in network capture of faulty SMTP connections ? Do you care a minimum about us or the quality of your product ?

Send me a PM with the email of any dev interested in the network capture.

10. Christopher McBride

Christopher McBride Basic Pleskian

40%
    +1 for still happening.

Upgraded to 9.5.1 yesterday as I was getting sick of the automated emails.

A 100% fix is required, please!

11. IgorG

24%
    Well. Guys, please use following instruction for posting correct report about any Postfix related problems:

0. Read carefully http://kb.odin.com/en/8391
    1. Look up time of error message.
    2. Find part of DEBUG (How to enable - http://kb.odin.com/en/8391) log /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog for corresponding time and post it here.
    3. Post output of 'df -h' command.
    4. Any additional related errors from /var/log/messages

Only such report I can forward to developers for the further investigation!

12. ChristopheP

ChristopheP Guest

don't follow this KB blindly

I strongly advise everyone to avoid applying this part of the KB:

It will just silent errors, but it won't fix them !!!

13. ISSchuster

ISSchuster New Pleskian

57%
    Same with increasing smtpd_timeout and smtpd_proxy_timeout - that will not solve the problem... In some situations the problem will get even worse when increasing this timeouts...
    It's possible that the process is running for one hour then - and when you have a lot of running postfix-queue processes you can get a RAM problem and more...

It seems that supressing error messages is a normal procedure for plesk developers...

I guess they did it alredy with the patch in February... After the patch the error messages disappeard - but the problem was exactly the same as before... --> http://forum.parallels.com/showpost.php?p=402544&postcount=21

14. IgorG

24%
    Did you tried patch from http://kb.odin.com/en/8391 ?

15. Christopher McBride

40%
    I would assume that the version of postfix-queue in the KB is older than that released in Plesk 9.5.1?

I have switched back to that version for now and will report if any notification emails appear.

16. ChristopheP

ChristopheP Guest

which one should we use ? Official 9.5.1 or the one from the KB ??

17. IgorG

24%
  18. Christopher McBride

40%
    I can confirm that, for me, using Plesk 9.5.1, but using the postfix-queue from the old update in the KB (http://kb.odin.com/en/8391) has stopped the error.

I had one email about 10 minutes after applying the fix, but since then (over 24 hours ago), I've not had one notification email yet.

19. ISSchuster

ISSchuster New Pleskian

57%
    Dear IgorG,

we are here in Plesk 9.5 Forum - your KB-article http://kb.odin.com/en/8391 is for version 9.3...

In Thread http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=100833 your told me on 15. April that all problems are fixed in 9.5... Why do I have to install an older patch (for 9.3) now?

How do I know that I can believe you this time?

I'm not your alpha-tester... With each update / patch / hotfix there are new bugs...

20. Christopher McBride

40%
    OK, so after the 9.3 patch, I have still had queue write error emails - but they ar now few and far between.
    Going from 50-60 per day down to 1 or 2.

I am, though, confused as to why this patch is required for a newer version of Plesk than it was made for - and why there are still a few errors slipping through.