• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue private IP instead of public in DNS settings when migrating to server with private IP

Zaxos Dogganos

New Pleskian
I guess this is easy to confirm, and it looks like a bug (I can't think of it as a feature).

So, I have a plesk virtual server (12.5) with a private IP and the public IP configured in IP addresses.

Now I'm migrating a domain from another plesk (12.5) server to the above server and the DNS settings that are set up are showing the private address instead of the public! It says for example in DNS settings that the A record for my domain is 172.31.1.100, which is the private IP of my server.

In order to fix the problem I need to select 'Reset to default' for the zone and then the zone get the public IP and all is good. Shouldn't it from the beginning get the right IP?

In addition to this, trying to automate the fix using the cli, I get yet another problem trying to reset the zone:

# /usr/local/psa/bin/dns --reset mydomain -ip myPublicIP
Error restoring DNS zone:IP does not exist or belongs to IP pool of another customer

It does not recognize the public IP where I guess it should.

Any ideas? Do these look like bugs or am I doing something wrong?

This is a funny one, we've seen this ourselves on a Plesk server with a private IP that shouldn't be used by Plesk at all. What we did was:
1. Set the private IP as dedicated.
2. Created a dummy 'plesk.internal.dontuse' subscription and configured it to use the dedicated private IP.
Looks and it probably is ugly, but it solved the problem for us. We haven't seen any side effects so far.

Back