• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Problem getting 'lost password' for mail clients

H

Henk van Andel

Anyone can recover their password when logging in to Plesk. Including mail clients, logging in as [email protected].

However, I found that:

The original password is send to a known e-mail address; no matter what address is entered, Plesk sends it to [email protected]. The client cannot access this because he lost his password! Catch 22? Or do I do something stupid? You can enter an email-address for receiving the lost password, but addresses other than [email protected] are being refused. Logically, because otherwise everybody could steel the password of anybody just by knowing his e-mail address for logging in.
Any comments? Suggestions?

Moreover, sending the original password in clear text by e-mail is unsafe. Plus it implies that the server stores the original passwords (hopefully encrypted?!) where they could e hacked.
To me it seems preferable to send a new temporarely password and urging/forcing the client to change it immediately over https.

Back