• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Attempts to exceed outgoing limits: log of mails not sent

datea.services

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 10.13
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.56 #4
Hello everyone,

we occasionally have the problem that individual mail addresses exceed the limit for outgoing mails - not because our customers are spammers, but because, for example, an e-commerce sales process takes place on the website (e.g. sending via SMTP from Wordpress) and then 200-300 mails per hour are sent in a very short time. Mails above the limit of 100 per hour are then correctly not sent and do not appear anywhere as "failed" in a log, if I am correct. Sure - we recommend our customers to send mail via SMPT with external bulk mail services like Mailjet etc. as a recommendation. But we can't ensure that every one of our customers uses our recommendations. And we don't want to increase the limit of 100 mails per hour for spam protection reasons.

The use of additional plugins in Wordpress such as "WP Mail Logging" is one way for our customers to find out which mails have failed - but the question now would be whether there is also a "mail not sent log" with GUI in Plesk that shows which mails have not been sent or more precisely to which exact recipients the mails have not gone out? We also use Warden anti-spam and virus protection and can analyse a lot - but unfortunately I cannot find a suitable log file to filter out the mentioned mails that were not sent.

Furthermore, is there an option that allows the "over limit" mails to be sent in the next few hours if a limit is available?
Do you have an idea? If you need more details, please let me know - I'm grateful for any advice

Thank you,
and all the best
Chris

The mails that have not been sent are logged in /var/log/maillog, but their processing ends with "outgoing mail limit exceeded" error.

The mails that have not been sent are logged in /var/log/maillog, but their processing ends with "outgoing mail limit exceeded" error.

Thanks for your answer - then unfortunately my guess was correct. I could imagine that it would be really practical for many admins if there was an extended “Mail Limit Handling”. What do you think about that @Peter Debik ?

Back