• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Problem using a 3rd Party SMTP and delivering email locally

Peter Downes

Basic Pleskian
Hello Forum

We very recently changed our VPS Host Name from the default to mail.ourdomain.com.

With my PC's SMTP set to
--
mail.ourdomain.com
--
I can send to ANY email account.

If I change my SMTP to a third party SMTP server (eg BT or Orange) I CANNOT send to accounts on our VPS or our VPS provider's network. But I CAN send to all others.

The bounce error is along these lines
(BTW I am certain [email protected] is good address):

--
The following addresses had permanent delivery errors: [email protected]

Reporting-MTA: dns; c2beaomr08.btconnect.com
Arrival-Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 14:03:14 +0100
Final-Recipient: RFC822; [email protected]
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; mail.testdomains.co.uk
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 5.7.1 Command rejected
--

I wonder if this problem is to do with the Host Name change or something else?
Would be grateful for advice on where to start troubleshooting.

Many Thanks

Thanks @UFHH01

Sorrry. Perhaps a misunderstanding? I didn't want to publish the genuine sending and receiving email addresses on the post.

So for [email protected] please read pete@john******itects.com - real address with mail box etc.

Hope that clear

Hi Peter Downes,

please be reminded, that investigations are pretty tough, just by "guessing" ( which is due to the case, that you want to keep most of your information "anonymous" ). People willing to help you have to get some decent informations, because otherwise the possibilities can vary from "not the case", to "not relevant" and therefore suggestions/solutions could be pretty useless, because they may not suit your issue(s).

Back