• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Problem with FTPS backup repositories (incl. workaround)

Webbenny

Basic Pleskian
Dear Plesk team,

I've tried to setup a ftps backup repository. It has always fails with an error: "Transport error: unable to list directory: Curl error: Access denied to remote resource" or in the logs:
Code:
/opt/psa/admin/logs# cat migration.log
(...) Curl error: Login denied [./ftp.cpp:559]

The problem:
During the setup the plesk pmm-ras checks the repo WITHOUT SSL only ftp:// is used. Even if FTPS is checked.
Code:
/opt/psa/admin/logs# cat migration.log
/opt/psa/admin/bin/pmm-ras --check-repository --dump-storage=ftp://[email protected]/users/ --use-ftp-passive-mode

All the following (scheduled) backup tasks are executed as expected WITH SSL (ftps://).

Conclusion:
In most cases this is not a problem, because FTP servers accept both ftp and ftps connection. But the password is not secured for the first time. In my case my server doesn't accept non SSL connections, so I've to disable this and enable after the initial setup of my backup repo. But my ftp password was one time transfered without ssl - thats bad.

Best regards, Benjamin

Back