• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Problem with SSL LE (mail settings)

onelife9

New Pleskian
Hi. I have a problem with LetsEncrypt certificates for each domain (only for mail). This works fine for sites. For mail, it gets the server's root certificate instead of the domain. Why?

Example:

openssl s_client -showcerts -servername bezglutenowyhert.pl -connect bezglutenowyhert.pl:465

This is my settings. It looks correct.

Zrzut ekranu 2020-11-30 o 12.28.47.pngZrzut ekranu 2020-11-30 o 12.29.09.png

The "SSL/TLS certificate for mail" setting is useless without a wildcard certificate, it just doesn't work as you would expect.
If you install the wildcard certificate, it works.

Would you not only need a wildcard if you do not address the server by the domain name, but an prefixed domain like smpt.<domain> or imap.<domain> etc.? Else it should be o.k. if you simply enter the domain name as server name.

Hey, I still have a problem. I have a Wildcard LE certificate.

I use main domain or mail.*, but still displays the server's root certificate, not the domain.

I know I can use the main domain of the server, but I care about the address per domain.

openssl s_client -showcerts -servername bezglutenowyhert.pl -connect bezglutenowyhert.pl:465

CONNECTED(00000005)

depth=2 O = Digital Signature Trust Co., CN = DST Root CA X3

verify return:1

depth=1 C = US, O = Let's Encrypt, CN = Let's Encrypt Authority X3

depth=0 CN = vps800343.ovh.net

---

Certificate chain

0 s:/CN=vps800343.ovh.net

i:/C=US/O=Let's Encrypt/CN=Let's Encrypt Authority X3

or mail.*

openssl s_client -showcerts -servername mail.bezglutenowyhert.pl -connect mail.bezglutenowyhert.pl:465

CONNECTED(00000005)

depth=0 CN = vps800343.ovh.net

---

Certificate chain

0 s:/CN=vps800343.ovh.net

i:/C=US/O=Let's Encrypt/CN=Let's Encrypt Authority X3

You're trying to connect to the SMTP server, but the SMTP server will be protected by default by the host certificate. Try
openssl s_client -showcerts -servername bezglutenowyhert.pl -connect bezglutenowyhert.pl:993
instead.

Please also try this from your own server:
echo 'Q' | openssl s_client -connect bezglutenowyhert.pl:465 -servername bezglutenowyhert.pl -showcerts 2>&1 | grep -Eo 'CN=[^/]+' | uniq

and make sure that the certificate that was issued for your domain is set as the mail certificate of that domain.

ok, i try openssl with 993 and it's fine.

openssl s_client -showcerts -servername bezglutenowyhert.pl -connect bezglutenowyhert.pl:993

CONNECTED(00000005)

depth=0 CN = bezglutenowyhert.pl

---

Certificate chain

0 s:/CN=bezglutenowyhert.pl

but from my server with 465:

CN=vps800343.ovh.net

CN=Let's Encrypt Authority X3

CN=DST Root CA X3

CN=vps800343.ovh.net

CN=Let's Encrypt Authority X3

for smtp will always be the root server certificate?

I have SNI turned on.

That's a good question. I thought that SMTP can also use the individual certificate. Never really tested it to the bone.

Further research brought up this article on a bug that seems to meet your situation:
Do you get any of the warning messages in /var/log/maillog described in that article?

unfortunately not... (debug enabled)

I have the current plesk version.

Product version: Plesk Obsidian 18.0.31.2
Build date: 2020/11/27 17:00

I'd guess that this case needs a support ticket with Plesk support, so that they can check the situation directly on your server.
If you have a license from a reseller, you could consider of using the free "test" for paid support.

Back