• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Problem with webmail and merak mail

R

RobertS

I am running Plesk 7.5.6 and have the following problem(s):

A customer of min recently migrated to my Windows server, he cam from a Plesk 7.5.4 Linux server.

The customer always only webmail to manage his mail accounts so he tried to do this on my windows server.
First he noticed that he could not make any folders, he quickly discovered why this was the case, the default used mailserver does not support this.

I tried to find a mailserver (for free) which does support this but could not find 1 which works with Plesk.
I finaly decided to try Merak mailserver, I downloaded the only version that was available version 8.3.8.
This version is not supported by Plesk, after long searching I found 8.2.4

I installed 8.2.4 and tried to run it.
It did indeed run but now I have some other problems:

1. The horde webmail does still not see any maps when using imap login. You can create maps but it does not list it.
2. Horde reports that there are mails but they are invisible using the IMAP login, when the user logs in using pop3 login (pulldown option) he can see the mails!
3. When using the build in Merak webmail server Plesk redirects to port 32000 when you login. The problem here is when users are behind a firewall and this port is blocked they cannot access the webmail, horde uses standard port 80 to connect to the client/user.

Also I am looking for Merak mail version 8.0.3 instead of 8.2.8 which I have now, this version I cannot find anywhere on the net anymore

Hopefully someone reqonize these problems and knows a solution for it and can help.

This will save a few $ ;) :
http://www.icewarp.com/downloads/winarchive.html

When switching mail servers, you will have to login to Plesk, click Server -> Components Management and change the mail server you use. If you use Merak's webmail comonent (far better than Horde) you can change it there also.

You might need to reconfigure the mail settings for all the domains:
%plesk_bin%\mchk.exe --all --fix=all

To update the webmail links for all the domains, you might have to use
%plesk_bin%\websrvmng.exe --reconfigure-webmail

Acording to SWsoft, when changing mailservers all existing email messages will be lost. As far as I know, there is a migration tool from Merak that allows settings an postoffices to be transfered so you might want to look into that.

Please let me know how this works for you, as I plan to upgrade 10 servers from MailEnable 1.9 ro Merak 8.0.3z

Originally posted by Bogdan
This will save a few $ ;) :
http://www.icewarp.com/downloads/winarchive.html

Thx very much for the link, I did not find it myself. (but why save $? That part I do not understand)

A problem with the build in webmail client from Merak is that is uses an other port and a own web deamon.
I don't mean that port 32000 is a problem, I know I can change that in Merak.
The problem is that the Merak webmail server uses its own webserver, which results that it cannot run on a port which is allready used by IIS or Plesk, for example port 80.

So if your customers are behind a firewall in there offices which they cannot configure themselfs they most likely cannot connect to my webmail function, this simply because the firewall of the office will block the port of the my webmail server. (in this case port 32000)

Horde webmail uses IIS as webserver so everyone can connect to it because it uses the default port 80 (standard web port which all firewalls normally let pass).

So you understand now the problem?
Horde uses port 80 which all firewalls mosttime let pass.
All other webmail servers use a different port because they have there own web deamon, firewalls will block these ports and the user cannot connect.

Solution for me:
- Get horde to work with Merak mail
- Get Merak webmail to run on port 80 as horde does...

Ok... I understood your request only after I switched to Merak the first server, but I have no solution though.

Please let me know if you find anything.

I have this working, by having a dedicated IP for my Merak Webmail and binding it to port 80 on this dedicated IP. Plesk and Merak Webmail co-exist well this way.

Back