• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Problems uploading large files to FTP

B

bluefossil

Hi guys,

I am having problems with my FTP through client like WS FTP Pro. It seems that when uploading large files, it will freeze halfway through, or even earlier. I have tried testing using files ranging from 5MB to 30MB. For files around 10MB or less, I can usually get them all uploaded without much problem. With files slightly larger than 10MB, things are quite sporadic, i.e. sometimes they get uploaded, sometimes they don't.

However, with larger files, the problem is much consistent. The files would freeze aroudn 7MB, though on one ocassion, it approached 80% completion before it froze.

I am pulling my hair now, as I kept encountering these problems through both my office and home. But when I got a server administrator in US (I'm based in Singapore) to try to help troubleshoot, he reported that he had not issues uploading files, as big as 30MB. What am I missing here?

I don't if this helps, but my server is behind a Cisco firewall (PIX506E) and switch (Catalyst 2950). The server also has apf firewal on it.

I have gone ahead and made some changes to the proftpd.conf file, from what I managed to search out so far on this forum. Below is my proftpd.conf content:

Code:
ServerName                      "ProFTPD"
ServerType  inetd
ServerType  inetd
DefaultServer                   on
<Global>
DefaultRoot     ~               psacln
AllowOverwrite          on
IdentLookups off
PassivePorts    30000 50000
</Global>
DefaultTransferMode     binary
UseFtpUsers                     on

# Port 21 is the standard FTP port.
Port                            21
# Umask 022 is a good standard umask to prevent new dirs and files
# from being group and world writable.
Umask                           022

# To prevent DoS attacks, set the maximum number of child processes
# to 30.  If you need to allow more than 30 concurrent connections
# at once, simply increase this value.  Note that this ONLY works
# in standalone mode, in inetd mode you should use an inetd server
# that allows you to limit maximum number of processes per service
# (such as xinetd)
MaxInstances                    30

And here's what I have in conf.apf:

Code:
# Common ingress (inbound) TCP ports
IG_TCP_CPORTS="20,21,22,25,26,53,80,110,143,443,465,993,995,2082,2083,2086,2087,2095,2096,2222,3306,6666,8005,8009,8443,8888,19638,32768,30000_50000"

I have opened up the ports 30000 to 50000 (as what's in conf.apf) on the Cisco firewall to troubleshoot, though I'm not sure if I really need to do that at all.

Anyone knows what I am missing and how I could possibly solve these problems? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Have you verified that your workstation connection (the one you used to test uploading using wsftp) is not suffering from a changing IP?

Since you have a US based person who is able to upload a 30MB file, it would seem to be a problem on your workstation side, not the server side.

Back