• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Issue Process with user syslog and command cache-main is constantly at 100% CPU

Crim

New Pleskian
I have a Plesk server on Ubuntu 18 and every day this process uses 100% until I kill it. Does anybody know what this process does?
It runs with user syslog and command cache-main.

1628469047544.png

That process looks suspicious to me. You should investigate it to find out where the binary lives and which process was calling it.

List open files/descriptors/sockets of the process: lsof -p 9977
Retrieve parent process ID: ps -o ppid= -p 9977
Then do lsof -p with the parent process ID
Also, do a full "ps auxwww" to list all of your processes.

Looks like it has something to do with Varnish. I have Varnish running in a Docker container. Is it possible this is visible like this on the host?

1628504009570.png

Ah OK, so "cache-main" belongs to Varnish, so nothing suspicious.
I can't tell you why that varnish process has such a high CPU usage, you will have to debug that using varnishtop and other tools, but this is outside of the scope of Plesk. Also, check your varnish logs if you see anything that will give you an indication about what's going on.

Back