• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

proftpd - No such user found

Timo002

Basic Pleskian
I'm running a brand new installed VPS with CentOS 6.6 and Plesk 12.0.18. I created a subscription and by default a FTP user is created. However, I cannot login with these credentials. I also created a new user but the same problem presists. I'm 100% sure that the username and password is correct.

Filezilla gives me and 530 Login incorrect. But if I look at the /var/log/secure file, I see this odd message (FTP username = test):

Jan 30 16:01:45 transip proftpd: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib64/security/pam_stack.so): /lib64/security/pam_stack.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Jan 30 16:01:45 transip proftpd: PAM adding faulty module: /lib64/security/pam_stack.so
Jan 30 16:01:45 transip proftpd: pam_listfile(proftpd:auth): Couldn't open /etc/ftpusers
Jan 30 16:01:45 transip proftpd[18085]: 127.0.0.1 (x.x.x.x[x.x.x.x]) - USER test (Login failed): No such user found

No such user found, although it is created with Plesk. How can I fix this?

I tried that one already! Unfortunately that gave me another error with permissions! To be continued!

Hello Timo002,

if you experience problems after you tried the suggestions from the links, you could try:

yum install authconfig
authconfig --disablefingerprint --update

Hello,

The suggestions in the links didn't work. Also
Hello Timo002,

if you experience problems after you tried the suggestions from the links, you could try:

yum install authconfig
authconfig --disablefingerprint --update
Unfortunately this didn't work either. I'm with my back at the wall.. the service provider of the VPS doesn't help me either because they say it's in my system. But out of the box (new VPS installation) it doesn't work.

Hi Timo002,

have you probably got SeLinux enabled? Please check with "getenforce" over the command line the current state.

Hi Timo002,

this is "o.k." if you know how modify and configure SELinux. The Security-Enhanced Linux feature can cause a lot of issues/problems and the suggestion is to disable it, because the standard configuration will lead to quite a few unfunctional services, unless you don't configure SELinux correct to work with them.

To check if SELinux is the cause of your current issue, you might use the command "setenforce 0" over the command line. This will disable SELinux untill the next reboot of your server.
Check with "getenforce" again the status, which now should display "disabled" and try to use your FTP - client again, to check, if all works as expected now.

If it does work as expected now, you might consider disabling SELinux permanently. Please see => KB - article 115 626 ( How do I disable SELinux? ) <= for further instructions.

Hi Timo002,

this is "o.k." if you know how modify and configure SELinux. The Security-Enhanced Linux feature can cause a lot of issues/problems and the suggestion is to disable it, because the standard configuration will lead to quite a few unfunctional services, unless you don't configure SELinux correct to work with them.

To check if SELinux is the cause of your current issue, you might use the command "setenforce 0" over the command line. This will disable SELinux untill the next reboot of your server.
Check with "getenforce" again the status, which now should display "disabled" and try to use your FTP - client again, to check, if all works as expected now.

If it does work as expected now, you might consider disabling SELinux permanently. Please see => KB - article 115 626 ( How do I disable SELinux? ) <= for further instructions.
YES!!!! This worked. But what is the downside of disabling SELinux?

Hi Timo002,

I'm glad you solved the issue.
When you hold your server and it's software up-to-date and are aware of the installed and running services on your server, it is only a very small security advantage, using SELinux. Your customers and clients are all chrooted with Plesk and using Fail2Ban and maybe as well the Plesk firewall and ModSecurity is mostly enough to secure a server and most hosting servers will never need any additional security. ;)
If you would like to know SELinux better ( and it's usage ), please use Google or the manual pages on your server ( http://linux.die.net/man/ ).

Back