• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Protect Subdomain Directory

L

Linux98

The only way to password protect a subdomain is to manually create a htaccess and htpasswd file.

To be able to protect the subdomain directory through PLESK would be a nice future feature. :)

password protected subdomain

It's possible to do this with Plesk.

How to:

Create a new physical hosting: subdomain.domain.tld.
but dont check the www-box (left beside the domain input box).

Now you can easy protect your /.

The subdomain now is a domain :)

The only disadvantage is that you must create a 2nd ftp account for this domain (you can't use the ftp login off your www.domain.tld)

That's it.

Kind regards from Germany
Christian

A second drawback to this would be that it takes up more domain licensing. For those who have limited (i.e, 30 or 100) domain accounts, instead of the "unlimited" offer, it takes away from their possible sales. I'd rather a few extra movements for a simple fix (i.e. a few users) than loosing that option if I were limited. Of course, if the user is going through users actively, that'd change my mind quiet a bit. Depending, of course, on the situation.

I own a dedicated server, so it is no problem.
There are many virtual server provider on the market without such limitations or the possibility to link a subdomain to any subdir of main domain.
I am using protected directories/subdomains for serious content only, so money should not be an argument.
So I recommend to change provider or buy a dedicated server.

regards Christian

Back